1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ability, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

In another thread billing was brought up. I thought it would be intesting to see how everyone bills residentials.

I always tell the customer that I will split the risk with them when it comes to billing them.

I bill them at the first of the month for that month. However, their bill will not be considered late until the 15th of that month.

This way I show that I am willing to cut twice without having their money but they must pay for two cuts that they have not yet received.

For example, I leave them a bill on the first of the month

I did this because people seem to have a hard time paying in advance. Why??I don't know.

This procedure has been going really well for me.
  2. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I bill at the beginning of the month for all work done the prior month. I don't make the customers pay until the work has been completed to their satisfaction. The only exception to this would be for a large job requiring materials. Then I ask for 1/2 down to cover materials.

Our bills are due net 30. This gives our business customers time to send bills to corporate headquarters if they need to.
    turf9 likes this.
  3. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I bill at the end of the month for the work completed. I rarely have a problem getting money from a customer. If they go 60 days it goes to the attorney and they can find themselves a new landscaper.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

So then you are actually giving them at any point 60 days worth of cuts (8-9 weekly cuts) before yu ever get paid?

If you like it that's great by That is just too long esp for residential.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my billing is every 3 weeks. For example, my next billing went out today and will be due the 5th of November, and then the next billing goes out again on the 8th of November.

I started doing the 3 week billing due to the fact that someone can not screw me over with payments with that much. Instead of 4 weeks, they can only get me for 3 weeks. Also my billing cycle makes sure that cash is flowing in all the time
  6. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Credit/debit card after each mow, we do not mow again till the previous mow is approved! We have tried every method & this works for us :waving:
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

other than a few commercials, everyone pays in advance for 1 month of service.
  8. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

I was thinking about doing this next season. All my current clients will likely go with it without any problems.

However, have you ever lost customers because of that policy? Are there still people out there without credit/debit cards?
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im sure there are, but other than a few old people afraid of technology I highly doubt they are people you want as customers.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Same here with the exception of residentials are net 15 and commercial net 30. So October's bill will go out Oct.31 and be due by Nov. 15, commercial due Nov. 30. Landscape / install jobs we ask for 30% down, 30% the first day of work , and 40% on completion ,or net 15 days if they have made prior arrangements with us.