Billy Goat 13hp loader?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by devnuts, Oct 3, 2011.

1. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

I only do around 5 leaf jobs per season. However, these jobs have a good amount of leaves and I am sick of manually loading my trailer with rakes, blower and tarp. I know most recommend 18hp or higher but what do you guys think? Would a 13 hp loader do the job?

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. The problem you will have is that as you get larger you will wish you had gotten a larger Vac.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the quick reply. ANy recommendation on brand? I just got back for the shop. These are the quotes I got.

Billy goat 14 hp Subaru engine with 10 inch hose for $2700
    Gravely 14 hp Subaru engine with 8 inch hose for $2200

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We had our original Vac as a little wonder 16. We just picked up a giant Vac 25. Just my suggestion. Would be go as large as you could afford.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't the Billy Goat 18hp only a few hundred more...if so I'd get that. I may have my like new 16hp Billy Goat for sale but not sure yet. To me it was about making a choice between bringing my mower over bringing a leaf vac, since I only have a dump trailer, not a dump truck.

6. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the input Darryl. Why did you get the 16hp over the 18hp? Simply price? How does the 16hp work?

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

They used to equip that unit with a 16HP but have upgraded it to an 18HP now. It works well but I wouldn't call it fast. I wouldn't want anything smaller, that's for sure. From watching crews with a tow behind model in the 25HP range, I'd verture to guess that those are twice as fast as mine.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have a 16HP and it works pretty well. with real wet leaves if you try to go too fast it will still clog though. the more powerful they get the heavier they are too though so just keep that in mind

9. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

I just bought an 18hp Billy goat this year. I used it yesterday for my first cleanup of the season and I was very impressed. This thing devoured a nice sized pile of leaves in minutes. I cant wait to really use this thing!

10. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked an 18hp billy up this week also, still have yet to use it though.