1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billy Goat 16HP blowing A LOT of white smoke this morning.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by joshua74133, Nov 15, 2012.

1. joshua74133

joshua74133 LawnSite Member

I don't get how one day no problems with this thing and then we get to this job this morning i check the oil (like i do every morning) and there is no oil and so i add oil start it up first pull and TONS of white smoke??? how does this happen?
  2. joshua74133

update i just took the air filter off and there is oil in the filter and looks to be in the carb
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Overfilled with oil!

4. joshua74133

how do i fix this???
  5. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

mine did the same thing when i was rolling it around (on a dolly) when i put it up and started it and i shut it down and the gas drain into the oil so yeah. Had to drain it and let it air out (day or 2) and fill it back up and run it at idle for about 15-30 mins and then run it half throttle plus for about an hour+ and thats how i solved mine and havent had one since.
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

There is no easy fix, drain the old...
    Then pull it onto FLAT ground, and re-fill.

Remember to check the oil level with the dipstick fully seated but NOT turned to lock!
    And level ground.
  7. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

Too much oil. I looked up on Lawnsite because my 18hp Billy goat was smoking white smoke. Saw this, drained out a little oil and checked the dip stick. No more smoke running a lot better.

Think the billy goat is an odd machine for oil level. The manufacturer recommendation is 1.75 quarts. I put that in and was way over full. Maybe the plug doesn't drain out all the oil or something