Billy Goat 24" Contour Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ngog_Nrythrng, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

I usually over-seed with perennial rye in the fall here in Austin Texas. It does not grow fast or high, and provides a decent green during the Nov-Apr period when Bermuda and St Augustine are brown. It keeps the weeds down, which is very important to the greens here who will not use herbicides. It is also somewhat expensive. Occasionally someone will balk at the price, and go the Home Depot and buy annual rye. This can be an expensive mistake. Annual rye grows fast. In the wet spring it can grow 6" a week easy. It may require mowing every five days, or a more expensive two or three pass mowing. This makes customers unhappy.

In early March I was faced with 10"-18" of annual rye in a large backyard because someone went for the annual rye. The gate would not allow a 36" wb to pass, and my 21" was dead. I realize I should install a larger gate, but something needed to be done quickly. Thus the Contour.

The mower lists at $1200, and Austin Outdoor Power had it for $699. They talked it up, and it was clearly heavier duty than the 26" Snapper, so on impulse I bought it.

The 6.5 hp Briggs did not bog down in the 18" of grass, and provided a rough cut at 4", and a decent finish on the second pass.

There are some problems. It does not have a BBC. Since I intend to use this in hard to reach areas, and west Austin has some steep hills, it would be nice to power up those inclines, and pushing it across a gravel drive on the narrow rear wheels is a pain. The handle does not appear any stronger than a homeowner version, and if I have to drag it over rough ground the severe bends in the handle will probably break soon. The caster wheels on a small mower are nice, but the caster lock will engage/disengage whenever the mower bounces. The mulch kit is a joke. It uses bolts, takes a good deal of time, and will no doubt either get lost or shot out at bullet velocities. Height adjustment requires the removal of the belt shroud when going from/to 4". This means five machine screws must go on/off. It will not take long to either loose these, or strip out the holes. When mowing slopes, and going horizontally, the drive does not power the lower wheel consistently, and the plastic spoked rear wheels bend ominously. I have not used the grass catcher.

I would not recommend this mower for commercial use, and for the typical homeowner, I would go with a Home Depot Honda w/BBC and not sweat the 3" difference.

2. Thanks for the heads-up. I was looking at this mower, but something made me hesitate. I love the castored front wheels, but that was about it.

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks a second time, I also was looking at this machine but the flimsey looking handle bars and lack of BBC turned me off.
    BobR

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Thanks a third time. I was looking at them, but had a lot of questions. You just answered most of them.:)

5. I was seriously looking at one to replace my POS 26" Snapper. It's biggest failing is that they used the little drive disc from the 21" mower instead of the larger one from the rider. It fails twice a year, and I only use it on one yard!
    I knew I should have gotten a Honda!

Dave