Billy Goat 33" Finish Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tez34, Feb 14, 2006.

1. tez34

tez34 LawnSite Member

Well Looking to buy a Billy Goat 33" finish Mower. Any problems or good points
    to look for. Seems like a good mower for what I need. Demo tomorrow.
    Let me know.
    Thanks Chris

2. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

It does not mulch good at all and is tough to handle on hills.If you get one go for electric start as it can be contrary with recoil.I used mine no more than 10 times and has been sitting in shop.Go for the mtd-troybuilt-cub cadet 33 in.wide cut mower instead. I consider the billy goat and cub cadet 21 in. self propelled my worst buys ever.Hope this helps.

3. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Bought one 2 years ago, Piece of junk...only used it a few times. Doesnt cut well and hard to maneuver.Check out the Better 36...I have never used one...But have heard nothing but positive about it.

4. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Look into a Red Hawk 32" or 36". They're inexpensive. I have a 48" gear drive and it cuts and stripes awesome.

5. tez34

tez34 LawnSite Member

Not what I wanted to hear. Anybody have anything good to say. On paper
    it looks good and sounds good. I was hoping this would solve my problems.
    Demo in an hour, I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. RBall151

RBall151 LawnSite Member
    from KS

Please post back after you demo one out. I'm looking at getting one of these as well.

7. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

While I honestly agree with your ability to voice your beliefs please consider your words a bit more carefully. I personally mow my own lawn with that "Piece of Junk" and it does a great job. The FM3301 series is designed for your high-end homeowner, entry level commercial landscaper, or for the landscaper who's looking for an inexpensive back-up mower.

In the past 2 weeks I've seen 2 landscapers with them as well as a neighbor 4 doors down whom I don't even know. People like them, People do use them, and some people make money with them. I personally like mine, though I'm certain to be considered biased.

I'd recommend getting a demo. Let the product speak for itself.

8. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I can safely say these landscapers were not mulching. In the real world you cannot mow-mulch every two days. That is what I bought it for[to mulch] on a couple weekly lawns. Live and learn , life is too short to worry.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Mr. Force ... I have a the FM3300 machine and it does a fine job for me, a part time LCO.

10. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr LawnSite Member

Had the Billy Goat and the Troy Bilt....The Troy broke. Sheared the brake pully assem....The Billy Goat was ok, but got rid of it.

C.