Billy Goat aerator

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by four seasons property, Jan 25, 2008.

1. four seasons property

four seasons property LawnSite Member

Last year I rented a Billy Goat Aerator, I was very impressed with it's performance. I may purchase one for the 2008 season, has anyone have any comments on the Billy Goat Aerator or Lawn Mower.

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

bump ..........................

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never aerated a billygoat before, most of the time they just move out of the way.:laugh::laugh:

4. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

I've used their commercial aerator for the last two years and I have been pretty happy with the results and ease of use.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

How does it do speed-wise?

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

+We bought a Billygoat about 5 years ago and hate it period. It does a real good job in straight line but turning this unit is terrible. I would never buy one that doesn't have a drive that helps turning if you are going to do this all day long.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sissy

Just Kidding, however, every aerator I have used has been like that, and I've done 10 hour days with them. I would like to buy one with a split drive, or even the new ride on, but they cost alot. My local rental yard now hass Ryan aerators.

One thing that I noticed is that when I took the two big weights out, it was easier to turn, and the holes were the EXACT same depth as before. I tried it both on nice moist soil, and harder to crunch through soil.

8. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Our newest unit is the AE401 series. Five years ago it was the AE551 series. Check the Billy Goat website for what this unit looks like. There are no steel weights and the unit is much more compact, pulls some of the deepest plugs (water weight over the tines), and has easy folding handles.

Ironically I was just out running one for the past couple of hours. Let me know if anyone has any other questions.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

Around here, folks are selling the old model and claim that one won't be available till next year. Is this just their way of moving old inventory? The new one looks FAR superior to the old...

10. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

For starters great name. I'm not sure about wanting to move the old inventory, however I do know the distributor who covers Utah out of Midvale has purchased some of both the Honda and Briggs powered AE4's. He has the Honda units in stock and we are literally making the Briggs version as I type. They should be shipped this week. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.