billy goat aerators?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Apr 16, 2003.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

has anyone used a billy goat aerator yet or even seen them in person. i would like to hear what they think of them.

2. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

I have seen one, they look interesting, however there is little you can do for working in heavily compacted, clay soils. They do not seem to have enough weight on them to sufficiently puncture the soil down 3". If you want to check one out I know that A-1 Outdoor Power in Corcoran, MN has one, I'm sorry but I don't have the number, it's a 763 area code however.

3. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ive looked a Ezair with the 5.5 Honda, i never demoed it but i looked it over and it is built very well and easy to maintaine, Im sure its a good machine, billygoat test all there items for many hrs before adding anything to there fleet, Ill demo one and let you know if it rains tomorrow, I still think the Plugr i demoed at the Louisville Expo was about the best aerator ive demoed....Encore makes a unit amost like the plugr, works by a cam, and goes into hard clay........Marks Mowing Service

4. sirsweatsalot

from MN

MN i kinda thought they didn't have a lot of weight either. but i was thinking they were doing something different with the geometry that no one else was. but i'll check out the A-1 see what they have to say. i have a dealer for it in my town but they just dont' have any in stock.

5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i tried one out.not a bad unit at all.its easier on your back because you don't have to turn it around to make another pass.you can just turn right or left due to the castor wheels in back.but i feel it should have more weight and be a little bit wider but thats about it.not a bad unit billy goat makes some good equipment i feel

6. sirsweatsalot

from MN

do you think a guy could add some more weight to it? or is there no place to put it?

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

you can but not where it should be.right over the tines.it has to be even also.i have bluebirds.they work great.there old and not blue anymore but they really dig into the turf.pulls out some nice big plugs

8. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

:) I've been using a Billy Goat aerator for a year now and love it.
    I used a Blue Bird prior to this and like my Billy Goat far better. Mainly the ease in getting around corners / flowerbeds. I seemed to rip grass alot with my Blue Bird on gradual turns but not with the B.G. Now keep in mind I'm in the North West and our soil gets dry but nothing like in some other areas of the US.
    In regards to weight, you can load it up. There's 2 spindals just behind the tines and a nice feature is you can use any type of weights.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Not sure what the price difference is, but hove you checked out the Plugr by Rock Solid. Demo'd one and is on my list. Almost like running a self propelled 21" mower......sweeeet!

MATT

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have had great luck with Billy Goat products and especially service from their sales departments