1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billy Goat Debris Loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, May 22, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

I am planning on buying a Billy Goat debris loader and bolting it on the back of my trailer in the fall. There are 16 hp and 20 hp units. I would prefer the 16 because it is much lighter, easier to move. However I need enough power to vac large amounts of leaves. Does the 20 make a big difference in vac power? Max amount of leaves per property per visit 30 bags of 30" by 48" bags.
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Casey, i bought a lesco 16hp loader last fall, which is identical to the billy goat and blieve me, the 16hp is more than enough power. WOW, it will pull your pants off if you get close to it. we mounted it to a 4x8 trailor b/c lifting off the tail gate to dump really sucked. If you have dry leaves it totally masshes them up, we had some snow in december before we could finish leaves and when the snow melted enough we started again, it sucked the wet matted leaves of the ground with no problem at 1/2 throttle, a purchse i should have made years ago, awesome machine,tony
  3. casey

casey Guest

GG Thanks for the info the 16 sounds like the better bet. Lighter, cheaper, takes up less space. Hope I can get one before fall, being from Canada you never know. What did you pay for yours?
    If I add about 3K I can figure out the amount in Canadian dollars.:)
  4. General Grounds

:blob3: Casey paid $1800, us dollars, not sure how that equates in canada dollars, good luck, T

ENZOFORZA LawnSite Member

I Have a 16 HP billy goat leaf loader mounted on a 6x12 dump trailer. This thing works sweet and mulches the leaves/debris 9:1. I can do 5 or 6 cleanups before having to dump. I paid $4000 for the whole setup including having the box built on the trailer. Saves an unbelievable amount of time. the 16 HP is plenty of power. You have to be careful. I had a worker almost get his shoe sucked off. I only wish It had a longer hose. It comes with a 10' hose I think. I wish it had a 20'. I will look into geting an extension this year.
  6. casey

casey Guest

I saw a hose listed as an accessory on Billy Goat site but it doesn't say length. Who built the box for you? Is it permanantly fixed to your trailer? I was going to bolt the loader at the rear of my trailer and blow the debris into my enclosed truck bed.
  7. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

I've bought a 16hp billy goat last year from alamia and it works great. I mounted it to an enclosed a 16 foot lawn tralier and added 25 feet of hose to the 10 foot section it came with.

8. General Grounds

:blob3: i put a roof on my 12' racdk truck and it works great, i have to dump maybe every 2nd, or 3rd day.
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have used the 16hp BG Loaders before and have found them to be very efficient. The only drawback was that for wet accumulations that sometimes you have to straighten the hoses out to get the debris to flow thru the tubes.

We have placed canavas tarps over the back of our stakebodies and had great results with these units in the fall.

Here is a site that may give you some other ideas about collection units and the power they require for optimum results.

Good Luck!