1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

billy goat eng. swap.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ACA L&L, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Im replacing the engine on my billygoat, its a walkbehind model. At any rate is there a trick to getting the propeller off the motor. Im having one hell of a time. any tricks or advise would help.
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If my memory serves properly, BG does not use a large nut welded to the impeller which allows the use of larger bolt to push the impeller off the crankshaft( 3/4" fine thread in the case of Little Wonder).

I've done a couple of engine replacements on BG's when I worked in a shop and the best way that I found was to get a longer bolt, probably about 3" longer, thread it into the crankshaft. Remove the engine mounting bolts allowing the impeller to slide back agains the blower housing. Have someone pull on the engine while you apply an air impact hammer to the bolt. In the absence of an air hammer, a regular hammer will do the same job with a little more effort.

Applying some heat to the impeller shaft housing may be of some value as well, particularly since you are not trying to save the engine or the engine crank seal.