Billy Goat Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clayslandscape, Oct 10, 2012.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a replacement of this Billy Goat Vac Engine. The engine is so old, it has no serial numbers, models or engine specs. The Vacuum is a KD51(can't read anymore of it)
    Serial Number- 012902011

Any help would be appreciated and it looks as if it would be easy to take the old one off and bolt the new one to it.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Clay, it should be a simple change out. After removing your old engine, determine the crankshaft length, diameter, keyway and how the crankshaft end is threaded. Find an engine that meets those specs and you should be fine. The most commom engines on the vacs were Briggs Quantums or Honda GXV.

Most of the small horsepower engines will have identical bolt patterns for mounting purposes.

A call to BG tech would likely provide you with some currently acceptable replacement engines.

3. clayslandscape

Engine has been ordered. Paid 160 total and i will install it myself. They say its simple just take nine bolts off and put nine back. I am probably going to sell it after I get it up and running. How much would you say it will be worth with brand new engine? Housing and all in great condition.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

You didn't say it was a self propelled or not. If the paint, tires/wheels, and pick up nozzle are in good shape, I'd think you should be able to get half price or better of current selling price.

Following is a link to an internet seller---select a model close to yours for current pricing. Good luck.

http://www.wisesales.com/power-equipment/vacuums/billy-goat-vacuums.html?p=2

5. clayslandscape

I got the new engine in and replaced the old one. I now have a like new machine that runs GREAT! Wonder how much this would sell for? It is not self propelled.

photo (39).JPG