Billy Goat force...Push blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nemow, Oct 22, 2008.

1. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I searched first I promise. The search function just sucks on these sites. Im looking at push blowers. I have never had one. Right now I have 3 c4 shindaiwas and two of the older echo's (forget what they are called) I have a leaf loader and a couple 61 inch mowers (one leaf plow). I feel like it is time to look into the push blowers. I came into this about ten years ago right when backpack blowers started to under weigh and out blow some of the smaller push blowers so I never saw a use for them.

Has anyone used the new force pushers? Has anyone had any experience with the subaru engines? At what horse power do the push blowers become better than the backpacks(as in worth it)? Anyone know if the billygoat videos from the website use the 18 or 13 horse for the demo?
    Im looking for info on the higher end models. Im not going to say price doesn't matter but I did read someone write "Buy the most horse power you can afford". I take that as "If your not spending the money its not worth it"

Any info on any walk behinds would be great...Thanks

PS Im not looking for a product war. .

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The heaviest backpacks always have outperformed the puniest push blowers,
    so the real question is why the sudden change of heart?

Either you're ready to spend the $1300 or you're not.

3. nemow

Oh topsites your the reason I've been hanging out on Plowsite for the last few weeks. If you start plowing Im throwing my computer in the trash because their will be no hiding from you.

Now yes I have $1300. Have you used a subaru engine? Is the push blower going to sit on the trailer because its to heavy to "lug around" all day? Im trying to rationalize spending $1300 on another tool that blows air. Do you have anything useful to add or are you just pumping up that post count of yours?

4. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I just picked up the 9hp (honda motor) Force. It works really well! It is not as quiet as they claim (after all it is a leaf blower). So far so good I think the 9hp is perfect! It does give you a work out, but not as bad as my old Fraden 14hp. Hope this helps!

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the 13hp Billygoat but it is three years old. It sits in the shed until our big parking lot properties get leaves then we pull it out. It will outshine two Echo 650 backpacks especially in windy situations. But this unit is just too darn heavyto move across lawns and actually it blows too much dirt anyway when using it to push leaves on the ground. We did demo a lighter weight 8hp billygoat and found it worthless.

6. nemow

When you say it pusher dirt do you mean it will actually remove healthy grass and make dirt divits? Is your this new fangled Force or the older model? Thanks for the response. Some of my fears of this thing being useless seem to be true.

7. nemow

Do you have backpacks too? Do you have anything to compare it to? Thanks for the help..Im still up in the air.

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

nemow, ed's machine is 3years old as he states in his post, so no, it's not one of the new force models. I've not personally used a new force, but if I needed one I'd buy one no questions asked. Hopefully Drew aka "Mr.Force" from Billy Goat will see this thread and can offer you some more insight into the blowers.

9. nemow

I was poking around down in the sponsor section after I postd this. I guess I dont know if I "need" one :) .

10. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I own two Stihl BR 600 back pack blowers. These are great for beds(at idle) and after wet cuts. You can really rip a lawn up with one of these backpacks (as I tell the boys all the time)! It seems the Billy Goat is perfect for larger areas! We used it today with wet leaves and moved them around with no problems. The guys moved the wet leaves out of the beds and around trees and I shot them to the curb (actually over shot at one point). It does have power even with the 9hp thats for sure. I am happy I made the purchase it will reduce time over the pack blowers.
    Hope it helps......