Billy Goat, Little Wonder, or Giant Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJC3, Oct 14, 2011.

1. CJC3

CJC3 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am planning on buying a truck loader this coming Monday. I went to three different dealers that sell all three. All three said that a different one was better. They all have the briggs vanguard 18 hp engine. Construction and durability wise what one is better?

2. wcb607a

wcb607a LawnSite Member

I have the 18 vanguard billy goat truck loader and it is ok. I wish I bought a bigger unit, like the 27 little wonder. Leafs do get clogged in the intake pipe, but overall it does the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

My old boss had a giant vac leaf loader that was atleast 15 years old, and it seemed to work pretty good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a 16hp Billy goat and wore it completely out in 4 seasons. Works good with dry leaves, but the pace slows considerably once you start dealing with wet or mulched up debris. I considered going with a 27hp LW or giant vac, but those units are heavy to tongue mount on a landscape trailer but i have seen this done before. Depending on what you plan to do in the future the bigger the better.. if your going to stay small 1-2 man operation 18hp of any of the 3 will serve you well, but if you plan on expanding best get a bigger unit.
    I went the overkill option got a 87 hp diesel giant-vac, its pretty dangerous but I love it!

5. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 LawnSite Member

I have a Giant Vac and love it. Never once caused a problem and does a great job. I don't see a lot of Little Wonders in my area, but I do see a lot of Billy Goats and everyone I know with one hates it. They all say they wear out quickly, and the top chute that curves into the box wears away because the metal is so thin.

6. CJC3

CJC3 LawnSite Member
    from CT

What engine do you have on the giant vac?

7. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 LawnSite Member

The Kohler 16 Horse

8. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

frandan......

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Whichever model has the largest diameter discharge. The 18hp Billy Goat models I have used clog really easily if the debris is mulched already. I have a 27hp Little Wonder that only clogs if small sticks are sucked up.

10. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a little wonder 16 and worked just fine. We just picked up a giant vac 25 we will see. The add anywhere to the little wonders to me would be the standard wear plates and the tallon shredder on the impeller really did grind up debris better. As far as the gusts of steel they all seem similar. Good luck with your purchase.
    Posted via Mobile Device