1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billy Goat Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Taiter85, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Taiter85

Taiter85 LawnSite Member

What are the opinions of Billy Goat Mowers. I would like a 36 inch walk behind and would really like to purchase a used John Deere GS30 due to financial restraints. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I was thinking of getting the billy goat mower too. I looked into every detail,
    They are a no fricks no frills mower. Its built simple,easy to operate and the deck is is thick metal. The only reason I want it. Is because I have a billy goat truck loader and the w/b blower. So they match....It seems the new billy goat stuff is cheaped out. lots of plastic stuff. and china rims. my billy goat stuff is solid steel, early 98's. i wouldn't buy the new 06 stuff though, when its time i'll replace with little wonder......hands down
  3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

You couldn't't pay me to run a Billy Goat. I ran one of the verticut machines, and it about killed me it was so heavy. Plus it was broken down more than anything else.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have a billy goat contour mower i love this 1 top of the line starts 1 pull cut is great, now on the 33 incher i would pass on this 1.
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about buying the Billygoat high weed mower next Spring - bad idea?:confused:
  6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pass on the 33" Billy Goat. I tried one a few years ago. It cuts decently in side discharge mode but was awful in mulch and bag modes. The transmission was very picky and would hop in and out of gears. The Briggs Engine was awful too. It was very picky to start and sucked up fuel like no tomorrow.