Billy Goat Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrg1, Apr 13, 2004.

1. jrg1

jrg1 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new mower and am debating between a troy built wide cut and a Billy Goat wide cut. Anyone have input? I have heard some negative things about Troy Built mowers.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't know about the mowers, but I do know that the Billy Goat products are VERY good. I have a blower and absolutely love it.

3. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Jrg1,

I have the billygoat 33" triple blade mower. You might want to consider this when choosing your mower. there are a few things that I dislike about it. first of all you have to hold down the parking brake lever at all times while mowing ( it is located on the right handle). The mower wont cut clean unless it is in perfect mowing conditions. The deck design on the mower doesnt create enough lift and it will leave blades of grass sticking up. Also the mower wont cut clean across the mower deck. The right blade will cut fine, but then all the cut grass from that blade will transfer the center blade, and then on to the third blade. If the grass is even moist, it will cake to the bottom of the mower. I believe the weak point of the mower is the deck design. The 13hp Briggs engine is easy to start and has more then enough power. In my opinion the mower isnt a finish mower, unless the conditions are IDEAL it wont give the lawn a manicured finish. The mower is built comercial quality, and might make a fine small field mower. Hope this helps your decision

4. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member