Billy Goat MV.....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Poncho25, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I just purchased one of these because mainly of the hose system it offered. Well its a piece of garbage!! Most of the parts are plastic and can warp very easily I would see over time of closing and opening the main intake. Also the way the MV is built it has about a 1/2 inch opening when closed for the vacuum system and thats spread across a 33 wide machine, thats a big hole and alot of lost suction. On the one I got, it was almost an inch gap, and I brought it back to the dealer and we even took the bar off to try to close the gap and could not. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer who took pictures of this and waiting to see if Billy Goat stands behind their products to offer a full money back satisfaction. I will just get the older model that you have to put the plate on the bottom to get the hose to work. The MV would have been a great idea with the bagging system change and the ease of use, but honestly if they put a bit more thought and $$ into the design of it, I think it would have been much better. All in all, I was very disappointed in the product and I was very much looking forward to using this on quite a few big jobs I have for cleaning out flower bed areas that are full with leaves.

2. Poncho25

Gezz I was hoping for a response from one of the billy goat sponsers about this..

3. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Poncho, honestly try using honey instead of vinegar. Step back a read your post as if it was written by one of your customers. Kinda' rubs you the wrong way doesn't it?

I've seen the photos of the unit in question. We're already in the process of addressing the problem. It's currently in prototype, and we've even sent off drawings to get quotes on the part. We should be getting samples in a couple of weeks. I could send you one of these samples for your review and for installation on your unit. Would you be interested in this?

Let me know.

4. justinL110

justinL110 LawnSite Member

I purchased a billy goat vac last year hoping to use it for leaves and other debris. The only place I have found that this machine works well is on a flat blacktop parking lot. There it does an excellent job sucking up all the leaves. Other than that I have many complaints about the design of the machine and the miss information you read when researching the product

5. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Justin, What vacuum do you own? What's your application? I might be able to give you some pointers.

6. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Wow! Now that is a true sponsor indeed. I only wish Little Wonder would give me the same treatment! I've posted my complaint about the 5631 I recently purchased. And to think, I actually ordered a Billy Goat MV. If the local dealer would have called me to come and pick it up... I could have Mr. Force in my corner!
    Jay

7. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

5631? That's an Little Wonder Self-Propelled HPV with a liner right? My wife used to work at a hospital where the term HPV has a completely different meaning. ...I'm now going to stick to the golden rule I learned from my mother. :rolleyes:

Seriously, when you re-enter the market for a self propelled vacuum don't forget about us but maybe try another dealer who'll call you when your order comes in.

8. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

9. Poncho25

Sorry you feel that I was being blunt and to the point about this! I dropped a pretty bill on this product and now its taken a full week before I even heard anything back, not just on here but after calling my dealer to find out they are going to send a retrofit something or another. I just wanted the company to stand behind its product. I have lost alot of work time because of this machine being down, I took quite a few cleanups (leaf) knowing I was going to have this machine in my corner, only to find out that it performs the way it did? A goat would have been cheaper and faster to use! I had to put in more time then I bid on a clean up job because I had to do it all manually (old fashioned way), so I lost money again. The older model of the billy goat vac seems to be designed alot more practical, with the metal guard that goes over the intake, why would you design a product that is required to have 1/4 of a hole across the 33 inch span? Thats alot of loss suction when using the hose? and the plastic parts, give it a full season of use in the heat, that plastic will warp over time with use. It just does not seem like a good product after all, and so far, I am completely, totally unsatisfied with this product and so far how long it has taken to get response with still no solution!

As for this prototype that your talking about..not 100% sure I follow you on what part its replacing? The entire door that should close, or what? And can you explain to me why this model (unlike the ones in the past) require that gap in the intake when using the hose? *the main reason i bought this was not because of the vacuum itself, but was because of the hose. Maybe there's another product that I don't know about that will better suit my needs..?

10. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

What did this vac cost? I have an older model that I purchased several years ago at the recomendation of a dealer and while it does a good job it is pita to dump and the zipper has been a problem from day one. The hose also constantly clogged which didn't make me real happy. I am trying to sell it as we speak. I only used it a few times. I wish the hose kit was a 5" instead of a 4" and I wish it were clear hose instead of the black and green. I also wished the hose were about a foot longer.