1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billy Goat Truck Loader Model Choice...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Charlie Sierra, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

I have just finished my first year as a self employed landscape and property maintenance guy and I am ready to plunk some loot down on a truck loader (that coal shovel made me a lot of money but I need to expand!).

I have searched the site,gotten alot of information and read many opinions about truck loaders but I am having trouble picking a model.

I intend to mount the truck loader on my '95 F250 with Eazy-Dumper insert so I have already decided on a Billy Goat with swing away bracket.

Here is my question: given the size of my truck, the small number of helpers I draw on (usually one or two) am I better off going with the 13 hp Honda/8 inch intake or the 16 hp Briggs/10 inch intake? Price difference is not a factor.

Many of the previous truck loader discussions say to go with the bigger unit, but it sounds like the posters had bigger trucks, bigger crews and bigger jobs. My gut inclination is to go with more power and volume, but my experience renting chippers has shown me that it takes much more labor to profitably feed a larger machine (i.e. when using a 14 inch chipper, I take four guys with me and even really hustling it sits idle alot on the job site). Just how many people does it take to make best advantage of the increased capacity of the 16 hp/10 inch truck loader?

To add to my indecisiveness, my designated power equipment vendor who is very knowledgable and quite helpful is really gung ho on the Honda engines. His opinion as a servicing outfit is that the Honda engine is much more commercial duty and makes the 8 inch a superior tool even though it lacks the capacity of its bigger brother. Given the size of my operation, I am considering his advice and going with the small model and using that to generate money to go for a really industrial truck loader or leaf vac next year (by passing the 16-25 hp class altogether).

Too, there is loading vs. unloading. Given the size of my truck and my buddy's one ton dump as well as the distance to the dumps, I am not seeing a huge advantage in more speed and volume, especially since the labor can go to the next job in another truck or the crew car while I clean up. In your experience, would I really be ham stringing myself by not going with the bigger machine given my labor inputs and hauling capacity?

Apologies for the long post; I look forward to your help and the wisdom of your experience.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Either one will work. The 16HP will be over kill for your pick-up but if you step up to a 1 ton dump, the 16 will be better. I have always had a Briggs engin on my loaders with no running problems.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 16 hp, mounted on the front of a trailer, blowing into a ez-dumper with box, it does a good job, I personely would not go with the smaller hp'er one.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Charlie, you said the price factor between the two is not a factor. If that's the case, it only makes sense to go for the larger model.

And as pointed out already, if you ever went to a larger truck or trailer for holding leaves, you'd have the larger loader already.
  5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

i think what it boils down to in leaf loaders is CFMs. I would buy whichever had the most, since you said cost is no object. More CFMs=less time=more revenue into your pocket.
  6. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice and input. I ended up going with 8 inch pipe and 13 hp Honda model Billy Goat. I got a chance to play with both and while the 16 hp/10 inch is definitely in a different performance class, I think the smaller unit is much more suited to the scope and scale of my operations.

The Honda engine is easier starting than the Briggs and the overall lighter weight of the unit makes it a little easier to swing on the mount. Both of these qualities are nice when working alone.

In terms of performance I should not come up short as the baggers on the mowers I will be following are 5 hp/6 inch pipe and thus I should be able to clean up their piles faster than they can make them.

In terms of expansion, my plan is to have a much bigger truck in (hopefully!) 18 months and will go with a bigger loader than the 16 hp/10 inch class. At that point I will put the little goat on a smallish trailer and send it out towed behind a crew car.

At any rate, I am very happy with my new Billy Goat. The model I chose is perfect for my needs and the quality of materials, craftsmanship and power plant are first cabin in every respect. I anticipate a 30% increase in productivity over last Fall. I love it!

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 16hp Billy Goat mounted on the front of 6' x 10' dump trailer. This is going to be a better year than last.
  8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have an 11 HP Billygoat on the back of my dump body Chevy and it fills it to the top no problem. When I go to dump it she looks like a hay bale. I would love a 16 HP but 11 HP is decent too.