1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Billy Goat Vaccums

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bruce, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

Are the billy goat truck loaders worth the money? or are there better ones out there cheaper.thanks for your replys.
  2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I am very much satisfied with my BG vac. I have the 16HP Briggs and Stratton. I may have been better off getting the 20HP electric start, because of where I mounted it.
    The work well not too many companies have them around here.
    One of my competitors puts all of his stuff in bags and trash cans
    and uses 5 guys when I use 2. My worker and I did 4.5 lawns in 6 man hours where he did 1.5 lawns in 4.5 man hours. It was fun to watch them mess with all of those bags we just put everything at the curb then started the vac. We can blow the leaves to the curb quicker than trying to mulch/bag the leaves. The yard still gets cut. Just after we clear the leaves from it.
    It is also nice on my yards that have curbside pick-up by the city if I miss their pickup day I just do it myself.
  3. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

:cool: On a DRY day you can kick butt if you have a dumpbed...:cool:

On a wet day....:( even the most seasoned can have a bad day :(
    All in all....That and a couple of walkbehind blowers,(not backpacks) with the dump truck and you can rock and roll...:cool:
  4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We used three this last season. Our oldest is a TL1600 with the motor and impeller mounted side by side, with a belt drive. They don't make it anymore but it is the best design so far. Replacing parts and servicing is a snap. We have a QV....20hp on a little trailer. It does a great job, and we hand roll it onto our landscape trailer, then, on site hook it up to the truck to vacuum. The newest is a 16 horse loader mounted on a swing gate. These vacuums all work pretty well, and all have vanguards. With a little maintenance they seem to get the job done. Like any others, check the fuel filter and air filter regularly, and inspect for loose parts all the time. I'll buy another one without hesitation when the need arises. We also use a bunch of Billy Goat 11hp blowers and a walk behind vacuum.
  5. stumpy09

stumpy09 LawnSite Member

i have a billy goat 11hp and the issue i have is starting sometimes. sometimes it gets hard to start but if you wanted you could put a electric start on it. i use it to pick up wood chips, really not recommeneded alot, leaves, and grass clippings. works great.