Billy Goat W/16hp Vanguard BS leafloader fuel problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TheBigGW, Nov 8, 2007.

1. TheBigGW

TheBigGW LawnSite Member
    from MA

This machine was not getting gas into the carb. I changed the fuel filter. All lines are free flowing I ested and checked all of them from the gas tank to the carb including the filter and the gas valve......It will stay running if i drop a little gas down the carb but only runs til its out. Not getting any fuel.....Anybody got any suggestion

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Without engine model/type numbers I can only guess....

If it has a fuel cut-off solenoid screwed into the carb it could have lost power/burned up or is gummed up and stuck closed or any of the below mentioned.

The float valve could be stuck closed or the main jet could have trash plugging it up preventing fuel flow to the high speed circuit or there could be water in the float bowl.

You will most likely find one of the above the problem.

Good Luck

3. TheBigGW

TheBigGW LawnSite Member
    from MA

Its Model # 303442 type 1277-e1 and code# 98072011 hope these numbers help

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Below is the carb for your engine, It could or could not have the fuel cut-off solenoid. Just check the things I listed and I'm sure you will find the problem.

You can remove the top of the carb without removing the intake manifold to remove the whole carb assembly. With either the bowl nut or solenoid removed the main jet will be behind, Also with the top removed spray carb & choke cleaner with the little straw through ALL ports jets and passages followed by compressed air if available. Reassemble and test run.

[​IMG]

5. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

just had the same problem... with same machine, same engine.

The gas tank was leaking, and the crab needed to be rebuilt.

6. TheBigGW

TheBigGW LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thanks my gas tank is perfect the lines are fine and free the petcock is perfect. I am gonna rebuilt the carb just waiting to get some time. Thanks for the info......

7. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

I have the same problem every year with my billygoats.
    You need to take the carb off and clean it and change the fuel filter.
    The fuel filter is kinda odd it 1/2" on one end and 5/16 on the out side of the filter. If you take the carb totally off.... you will need to pull of the front cover of the motor and unbolt the intake. hope this helps

Kane

8. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

Some of these engines were recalled due to fuel system problems.

Does anyone have a spare fuel tank for a 16hp vanguard (the one on the billygoat) or where I can get one?