billy goat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blowin Grass, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Blowin Grass

Blowin Grass LawnSite Member

Just bought a billy goat for my commercial properties and was wondering if it's okay to suck up the small rocks, twigs, etc. I use it to get the cigarrette butts out of the parking lot cracks and the rocks are pretty hard to avoid.

2. Blowin Grass

Just realized this should be in Accessories. Sorry

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it depends on where you are blowing the stuff.....I know that we blew a rock thru a window with their 13HP WB blower. I assume you got some type of sucking machine...maybe with bag?

4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiousity, where did you buy your Billy Goat from in LA?

5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know right this minute, but I am demoing one tomorrow and plan to put it through hell and back. Will let you know tomorrow evening.

6. Blowin Grass

I bought it from a friend who got of the business. Not sure where he bought it from.

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had all good intentions of picking up the Billy Goat from my dealer today. It didn't work out because while driving to a clients house my trucks brake pedal almost went to the floor while coming to a stop. Freaked me out because I'm pretty anal about maint on all of my equipment. Turns out I had a seal go bad in the brake proportioning valve. Leaked brake fluid all over the fender. In my 52 years I've never heard of that happening. The last few days have been hell on me anyway for variuos reasons. This was just one more event added to the fire. Anyway, Gonna pick i up the BG first thing in the am and run the crap outta it. Will let you know tomorrow what it will do.

8. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

We suck up small rocks and sticks (up to 1/2" dia. or so) with no problems so far. But, I've never taken the machine apart far enough to see if the impeller is getting beaten up. Anything you suck up won't be good for the impeller, but the impeller does not appear to be fragile in any way.

When stuff gets stuck in the intake, I look for a 1/2" dia. or so stick to jam in there. Then, I just let it get sucked in, after I clear the jam. The BG doesn't complain at all; it just happily munches it up.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

When it rains it pours...

10. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Sucking up rocks and sticks isn't a real problem. Avoid large chunks of wood (2X4 scraps) packing straps, towels, shirts, shoes and carpet. All of those can cause serious problems if they wedge between teh housing and impeller. The impeller is made of armor plate steel. The housing will wear out before you wear out the impeller. If you suck up LOTS of rocks or sand regularly the housing will sandblast such that it becomes thin and will eventually a hole will open up when you pick up something relatively solid.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S. Scagguy, sorry about your troubles, what dealer are you going to? I used to live in Georgetown and call on the Austin dealers. I remember seeing Hess rig at a McCoy's spring open house. Great steaks.