Billy Goat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccwmlw, Oct 15, 2003.

1. ccwmlw

ccwmlw LawnSite Member

Can any one tell me if the Billy Goat vacs are good, and can I get a price range on them before I go looking?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was told from a dealer a couple years ago not to get the vaccum, they just don't suck up that much. Instead he talked me into a WB blower instead and I am so happy that he talked me into it

3. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a Billy Goat for leaf cleanup once, and I wasn't all that impressed.

4. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I have one. They work pretty good but the only problem is that it is hard to get over this St. Augustine grass here. I have the chipper on mine and that comes in handy when it's time to trim the small Crapes.

Steve

5. ccwmlw

ccwmlw LawnSite Member

The reason I am asking is that at a job I am bidding he wants all grass clippings and leaves off the pavement. He does not want them blowed into the grass. He mentioned a Billy Goat vac. So if they are not that great any suggests.

6. BOSS MAN

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

we've had a billy goat for the past 2 seasons and they definately are not worth the money at all. recently we had to take it into the shop because the darn thing wouldn't stay running for more than thirty seconds. big piece of junk is all that is and it doesn't even suck that well. oh well you live and learn.

2002 GMC Duramax 3/4 ton HD 4x4
    7'x16' enclosed trailer
    3 - 36" toro hydro walk behinds / velkes
    1 - 48" wright stander
    1 - 52" toro ZTR
    2 - stihl FS 85 trimmers
    2 - stihl 420 C magnum blowers
    2 - stihl HS 85 30" hedge trimmers
    2 - stihl FC 110 edgers

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just some sound advice: With people that have the mentality like that, you RUN! And DON'T look back! These people are out to lunch, and don't have a CLUE about maintenance, what good for the turf, and what isn't good. They are interested in appearance, and before you know it, they get so caught up into the stuff that know absolutely NOTHING about, that they are dictating to you how everything needs to be done, including stupid stuff like "don't use the blowers in the beds, because the air might hurt the flowers." Out of curiosity, what does he think happens to all the clippings when you mow? Do the few that end up on the driveway somehow become "tainted"? Or maybe, just maybe, he wants the whole place bagged so there isn't all tose nasty clippings returning precious nutrients into the ground. If this is the case, just ask him. Do they bag golf courses? Do they bag Wrigley Stadium? Like I say, leave it for the next sucker that can have his methods and techniques dictated by the customer who knows nothing.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Tell him you blow them onto the grass then do two perimeter passes to collect them.

9. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Runner. Tell them you'll blow them off or walk. I have never heard of such a thing and when I do I'll pass. Those types will have you polishing the leafs on a boxwood before you know it..

10. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

Timely post. I was just pricing one out today for clean ups and light litter pick up on my commercial accounts.

So does anyone know of a lawn vac, preferably a walk behind, that does work well?