Billygoat High Weed Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm considering buying one this Spring and have a few questions.
    http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=19

- Anyone have one and how do you like it?
    - Can you put a mulch kit on it for finish mowing? Also, is the bagger easy to use/empty?
    - Price?

Thanks.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I thought maybe you were looking at the brushcutter... I am going to be renting one this spring to cut down some "wild" areas at a couple houses.

I can't comment about either really since I have no experience, but IMO the 24" mower looks pretty hokey to me. That grass catcher is almost Identical to the catcher I had on my Dynamark 22" push mower I had when I was 13.
    Just to guess I'd say the price will be in the $1,200 range. I'd look closer at the Exmark 26" (if it has all the improvements) if I was needing something that size.

3. Pecker

I'll check out the Exmark. I'm interested in your review when you rent the Billygoat. I'm wanting to replace my Toro Proline 32" gear wb simply because I just don't use it much at all but I still need something I can get in backyards with (many of which have thick fast-growing St. Augustine for some reason. A push-style mower would be easier to maneuver in the tight backyards I use my wb on.

I'm fixin' to check out that Exmark!

4. Pecker

The Exmark Metro 26 looks like a nice machine, but I could never buy a mower that can only bag (which I despise). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Exmark looks to be a bag-only mower.

What attracts me to the Billygoat is the "high weed" capability with finish-cut capabilities as well.

Basically, the perfect mower for my needs would be a high-torque mower for thick and tall grass/weeds that is very productive/fast, with the ability to chute, bag, or mulch. . .

Does Billygoat have any competitors to the high-weed mower?

5. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the billygoat brush mower and it works awesome.i have some pics of the work it does on one of my threads.

6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a BG high weed mower last summer for a customer's overgrown area. It gets mowed about twice a year. There were no "finish" capabilities for this mower. If my memory is correct it had a 10hp B&S and one big blade on it. It cut 2' high weeds and grass without a problem. The drive system was another story. I attribute that to the rental thing. These mowers have alot of potential to abuse. I don't know if this answered your question but good luck on your decision. Matt

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

it looked awesome in the video, not ya everyday finish mower, but was never meant to be, I like it!

8. Pecker

I like what I'm hearing. . .and just to make sure we are all on the same page, I am referring to the "Billygoat High Weed Mower" - the one in the link in my first post.. . .not the Billygoat Outback brushcutter. . .

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, the high weed mower.....be the perfect mower for down under lol.

the way it was chewing through that weedy stuff in the video would leave most 'normal' mowers for dead, in that type of situation.....nothing stops it being a good finish mower either is there?

be good for those vacant, ex rental type clean up jobs, enbankments etc.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have 1 a high wheel mower best d@m 24 walk behind on the market ours has a 6.5 horse power, this is a breeze cutting, floating deck,1 to 2 pulls starting, 3 speed tranny,built tough 1 reccomend this 1 by personal experience take it or leave it.