Billygoat Outback Brushcutter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anybody own one? How rugged is it and does it work well? Also, although it is a rough cut mower, would it cut grass and leave anywhere close to a decent cut? (I have a couple customers with drainage problems and when I finally can mow it I'm mowing 6 or 8" tall grass. . .).

I don't have alotta use for one (a few times a year and my Toro 32" gets torchered) but when ya need it ya need it. Even if I can't use it for this it still would be nice to have for cutting 4wheeler trails. Anybody know where to get one used for a good price (other than eBay because they are ALWAYS at least 500 miles away)?

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

We had 2 of them where I worked as a mechanic. They cut well, the engines were 13hp Honda I think. BUT! the engine controls sucked. The throttle/choke cable was always breaking as was the blade clutch cable. They would cut grass I suppose but its more like a bush hog cut.. about 4 inches. The deck has skids to adjust the height. Our guys said it was a real handful to hang on to in a sloping ditch. I wouldnt buy one.. just my personal opinion. Then again, I'm not an operator. Might get some info on the DR mower.

3. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We purchased a Billy Goat several years ago, because we have a 25 acre place with a lot of brush where our shop is located. It is good for anything up to the size of your big finger, but ours requires a trip to the shop pretty often. Mainly the belts & the gas lever gives a lot of trouble.

It is not good for regular grass.
    MJ

4. daycab

daycab LawnSite Member

I rented a Billy Goat Outback at Sun Belt rentals today. $80.00 + tax for 24 hours. I had about 1000' of fence that was badly overgrown with briars. I ran the Outback 200 yards to the fence and used it about 30 minutes before the belt that drives the wheels broke. It wasn't much fun getting the thing loaded back on the trailer. I took it back and they gave me a full refund.
    I would look for something with a better drive method then a belt. Simplicity and Snapper make a hydro drive brush cutter. From what I can tell, the DR field and brush cutter is chain driven. Good luck!

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

From what I have seen, the DR is worse. They have some real weakness in design where the deck hooks to the power unit. I know a guy who has two, to do code enforcement mowing. One or the other is in the welding shop all the time.
    You need to find an old Gravely, two wheel tractor, with the 30" rotary mower. You can put on a single heavy blade and mow brush. Or, you can put on the double blades and finish mow grass. These are tough old tractors. You can pick one up on ebay for anywhere from $350.00, up to $2,000.00. Price depends on age, model, and options. Newer models have Kohler engines. Older models have the Gravely engine. With a set of dual wheels, they will mow hills you can not stand up on. :)

6. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

mowingman my dad has one at his shop with a big 48-52" broom on it. it runs but needs work would it be worth fixing up you think ;)

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to all for your responses. Mowingman, I've heard of the Gravely two wheel tractor, but can't find them on their website. Do they still make them? Also, anyone have a pic?
    Thanks.

8. farmered

farmered LawnSite Member

I have a new diesel BCS 948 two wheel tractor (14 HP Lambordini diesel) that I bought a 31 inch swing blade brush cutter. Works great. Works on hills. The tractor is all gear driven, no belts.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

rookie,
    Parts are cheap, and they are pretty easy to work on. If it has been stored out of the weather, you should be able to get it going by possibly just filling it with fresh gas, installing a new spark plug, and maybe cleaning the carb. I just got one that had set outside for 5 years. Cleaned the carb, put in new gas and spark plug, and it fired right off. Parts are still readily avail.
    Gravely quit making them a year ago. A few dealers still have new ones in stock. There are usually lots of good used ones on Ebay that go at fair prices.
    Most on Ebay are located in the midwest, east, and northeast parts of the country.

10. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

farmered mentioned his bcs 948. That's one heck of a 2-wheeled tractor. If you happened to look at priceing at that, don't be to put off. That's the king of the hill when it comes to 2-wheeled tractors. You could get a brand new tractor and 31" brush hog for under $3500. Or, if you stepped up the size of the tractor, you could run one of their 38" finish mowers too. Their finish mower would slice right through that 8" high grass and bag it to boot(you don't have to bag). If you're still talking new, the bigger tractor and 38" mower might cost around $4000 and if you threw in the 31" brush mower you're getting closer to $5K. Used rigs can sometimes be found for half price.

The benefit of the BCS over Gravely is that they've been making them as long as gravely and they are still making them. They've also got ton's of implements for them and parts are readily available(look at www.earthtoolsbcs.com). Also, since the handle bars rotate 180 degrees, you mount the implement where it works best. You're stuck with everything out front on the gravely 2-wheelers. That only works for mowing. It doesn't work so well for carts, tillers, and plows.

I started just looking for a mower to let me cut my property faster(35 degree hills) but ended up with a chipper/shredder, 38" finish mower, 31" brush mower, 30" tiller, 36" dozer blade, and a cart. I use this stuff all the time and only have one power plant to maintain.

If all you want to do is cut average grass on level ground, this probably isn't the mower for you. But, if you've got other needs, it's worth a look.

No, I don't sell the stuff. I'm just a satisfied owner