Billy's Latest Article

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by SamIV, Feb 15, 2010.

1. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Billy was approached to write a few articles for Landscape and Hardscape Magazine. His first will be on transformers and the second I believe will be on design. The link below will get you to the first. Only thing I contributed were a few shots of projects. Next months will have more pics from a few of the regulars and not so regulars here. Link listed below:

http://turfmagazine.epubxpress.com/...YqZ-pJmBhQGIWawfaQyiC_QjDfULshOTqlIjFQEOSSxG/

Thanks,
    Burt Wilson
    Accent Outdoor Lighting

2. RLDesign

RLDesign LawnSite Member

Hello Burt and Billy,

I liked the article. In that photo of Mike G.'s transformer - it looked liked a lot of 8gu. wire, is anyone other than me designing with a good bit of 10 and 8 gu. wire???

Mike G. even uses the color tape like me, but since I use NS powercenters I have a lot more room inside. Did that transformer look tight to you guys? I have heard good things about it, but was wondering what others think.

Talk soon.

Tanek
    Reynolds Lighting

3. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Nice article guys. I have thought about doing these for my local papers in the Home sections. The second I sit down, bang, writers block. How long did it take to do an article like this? I would imagine you tweaked this dozens of times.

4. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

Great article Billy. It explains, in simple terms, what to look for in purchasing and installing a trans. A good introductory article for the newbie looking to learn about lighting.

5. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

I try to avoid 8 ga like the plague. IMO, I would rather runs 2 10's than an 8. Allows for more flexibility in the designs.

6. RLDesign

RLDesign LawnSite Member

HELLO ALL - I am turning this 8 gu. cable into a new thread.

Talk soon.

Tanek

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks guys. To be clear that photo IS of a Gambino Transformer but that photo was Miscredited. That installation IS by ME on a job here locally. That job featured 5 transformers. No 8ga wire there. I rarley use it and would assume add another trans (the photo in the location side bar is in the front yard of same job). That is 10ga Superflex wire and some 12ga as well.

All of my installations are color coded and noted on the transformer lid and documented. This particular installation had a complex 13 station UPB system installed with a UPB dimmer installed at each transformer. The on transition time is 3.3 seconds. The job is coming up on 2 yrs old now (the photo is 3 weeks old from a service visit) with no issues on the side of the transformers or fixtures (coppermoon bullets and washes with Unique tree lights and probes on the dock posts). The only issue I have had is 2 failed lamps in 2 yrs and 2 of the UPB switches were damaged by a lighting strike (gfci had to be replaced too but system was intact)

The Cover shot is a project in which Burt and I completed together just over 3 years ago on the beach in Gulfport. The photo is by Burt. I think it came in around 7 transformers and 150 fixtures.

Exactly. 8ga is so rediculous in price right now it is seemingly more than double that of 10ga.

8. Pro-Scapes

This took me a few hours to write. I stepped away... printed it... Re-read it... made changes... The article I submitted was a bit longer and had more photos but I guess there is a min of 2 edits per article once submitted. In the final print you guys are seeing it seems to be in a much more simplistic style than I had it but then again it seems very readable now. I had plans for a nice background photo as well. The title of the article was also changed from my original. The bottom line is you shouldnt do yourself or your clients a dis-service by installing cheap transformers. It will end up costing you more on your bottom line than if you had just selected a high end unit to begin with.

Next month is an Intro article on design work. I hope they dont cut it up too much and/or eliminate any of the great photos from Burt, Tim Ryan, Chris Mitchell or myself. I forgot the deadline so left myself about 2 days to do a rough draft and round up the photos on that one.

9. Pro-Scapes

Guys I stand Corrected. The Gambino trans picture as mounted is Mine. The inset with the colored tape is in fact Mike Gambinos. I submitted both shots and they chose to pair them up like this. Sorry for the mix up but it was easy to do since that trans as pictured in the closet looks identical to the inset minus the bush leaves on the edge.

10. RLDesign

RLDesign LawnSite Member

With that said, does anyone else feel like this is all cable 8 in the Gambino transformer. I guess I could call him directly, but I figured someone other than him would know from looking. I think it looks like 8?

Thanks for your help.

Tanek
    Reynolds Lighting