Bindweed control in Irises

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by maplecreek, Jul 2, 2013.

1. maplecreek

maplecreek LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a problem with field bindweed in flower beds? I have a bed of irises in a customers yard that has been taken over by this weed and wondered if there is any control ideas! I have pulled the bed clean and it's back the next week and I know that field bindweed spreads by stolons and rhizomes! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!:)

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I would apply a light spray of BWC (broadleaf weed control) right over the top of the whole area. Since you're in MD, Irises are pretty well hardened off now. The weed control should not be harmful. I have never had a problem doing this. My 2 cents.

3. maplecreek

maplecreek LawnSite Member

Thank you for your input I do appreciate it! Any particular broadleaf chemical that you used and at what rate did you use? Thanks again

4. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

I am convinced that in the center of the earth is one ball of bindweed roots. I seriously do not believe you can or will stop it permanently. Even if someone says they have, I will say bs. The only way I see it possible is cover the entire area....and then some more, with heavy black plastic (like for ponds) for 5 years.