1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Varsity L&G, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone running this in trucks or equipment?
  2. kevB

kevB LawnSite Member

I defintiely would love to run a veggie-oil system. Too bad I am still stuck with my gas engine. Another couple of years, and my tailpipe will smell like a deep fryer. I am contemplating picking up an old VW or Mercedes diesel and converting this winter for experimentation purposes.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My main problem with Bio fuels is that it requires more fossil fuel to produce them than just refining fossil fuel does :)

Its kind of like the idea of having a generator power an electric motor, which turns the generator :)

Sounds good on paper, but not in reality.

Now, running on pure cooking oil is a great idea, but actual "biodiesal' and ethanol fuels have a long ways to go before they get mainstream acceptance.
  4. Varsity L&G

I think it takes like 1g of ethanol to 20g of vegi oil.
  5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Does biodiesel take more energy to make than it gives back?

No. Biodiesel actually has the highest “energy balance” of any transportation fuel. The
    DOE/USDA lifecycle analysis shows for every unit of fossil energy it takes to make
    biodiesel, 3.2 units of energy are gained. This takes into account the planting,
    harvesting, fuel production and fuel transportation to the end user.

6. GFX

GFX LawnSite Member

I'm running WVO mixed with diesel. About 50/50.
  7. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i saw this on trucks. and it works fine. and the bio diesel since its made from veg oil it helps lube the motor also for less friction. and the company kettel fries uses all the old oil in there company cars
  8. Varsity L&G

Same place I first saw it was on trucks. I think I still have it on my DVR have to check some of the info on there again and provide a link.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

helps the farmers because they use a lot of soy beans to make Biodiesel :)