bio-engineering or pesticides?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by phasthound, Dec 31, 2008.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

They don't mention it in the article but I believe the resultant plant is considered "Genetically Modified Organisms" or GMO, which causes a big problem when trying to export wheat, corn, whatever that is "Bt" modified.

I do believe europe will not accept GMO products

I have a fun conversation with farmers often, the conversation goes something like this. I am usually the one talking about beneficial microorganisms and how supporting these guys in the soil will allow nutrient cycling and a reduction, if not the elemination, of fertilizers. The comment back has something to do with tree huggers or such.

My next question is, "do you use Bt Corn", the answer is always "yes, we have for years" and I ask " so what do you think? has it allowed you to reduce pesticide usage? and they always say yes.

I explain this is an excellent example of a certain bacteria, out of how many gadzillion that are in the soil, that is beneficial to crop production, we happen to have several dozen more that we package to help with a reduction in pathogen, increased yield, healthier plants and REDUCED fertilizer usage. But we do not use GMO beneficials

Ding Ding, the light goes on, or I get the glazed look of, you lost me at nutrient cycling

BTW, come on spring 2009, Happy New Year

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This is walking down a very dangerous path IMHO. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I think we should figure out what genes do in the natural genetic pool of corn and see what they can do to increase yields and deter bugs. Once we have a clear understanding of how things work then we 'may' have the wisdom to make better choices as to what bacterial gene to splice onto a corn stalk.

70% of our food supply is GMO so in a couple of generations we may know what the ramifications to health are. Personally I am with Europe, in this one instance.

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

smallaxe,

if im reading correctly your absolutely right! there need to be more money put into research for SELECTIVE BREADING not Frankenstein plants,

from the looks of it there is PLENTY of genetic diversity in corn? if they grow out enough plants and over time "select" the best traits they will move closer to better yielding/drought,disease and insect resistant plants,

if i understand it correctly too none of these frankin plants have been made to increase yield or drought resistance?

look at the companies behind these plants? they are the same one's making the chem's

we have no idea what the future impact to humans will be from these type of plants entering our food chain or what they can do the the environment around them?

i applaud Europe for showing some balls to big money!:clapping:

if these big companies have their way, they will control the world food supply"SEEDS" and how they are made?:nono:

6. growingdeeprootsorganicly

smallaxe,

after rereading your post i see i read you wrong?

"just say no to gene splicing"

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:nono::nono:

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I meant that one might experiment with it after understanding what is in the genetic code now.

you know - In the year 2525. :)

9. growingdeeprootsorganicly

there's not?

10. growingdeeprootsorganicly

kiril,
    how many different verities is there?