Biodegradable refuse bags...Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marko, Nov 7, 2005.

1. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Most villages around here require lawn refuse to be placed in 35 gallon kraft biodegradable bags for pick up. Most will take leaves for free from Mid October - November.
    My question is, does anyone know where I can buy something like a support with a funnel attachment on it that will allow me to set the bag up, and dump my catchers quickly??? I have seen the support rings, and the cardboard inserts, but looking for something faster.
    Instead of dealing with leaves/grass after I am done at the end of the day, I would like to use bags (bill the customer), and leave them for pick-up at the site.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I live in North Aurora, and I have been looking for the same thing. I started to use a tarp and a garbage can and dump into my truck and trailer and haul to West Chicago, that is the nearest place to dump. It costs between 30 and 40 dollars. I do this about once a week during leaf clean-up. I found it takes to long to dump into those bags. Customers still like them gone, and I just charge a couple dollars more from last year. I can get more clean-ups done doing it this way. I am looking for someplace closer to properly dispose of the leafs at that price. I have not found it yet. So I guess is what i am saying it is quicker making it more economical to haul them away even though the village will take them for free. The only exception I have is in Geneva they have a leaf sucker that comes by so you just dump the leaves by the curb. I hope this helps you out cause I struggled last year doing the same thing.:drinkup:

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

It does. I just have a regular pick up bed, so after about 3 lawns with mature trees, Im full. All I really need is a huge funnel that can be placed on mouth of a bag so the is no spillage.
    Western Springs is nice too because you can just place the leaves on the curb.

4. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Kicking those leaves to the curb is the best. And I have been charging the same too. Maybe you could invent something and make a million dollars out of the idea. I have not seen anything like what you want out there of course that doesn't mean there isn't.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Cut a plastic garbage can in half 3/4 from the opening. Perfect for holding bags open.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic