Biodiesel, anybody make their own?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lwcmattlifter, Jul 7, 2005.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm thinking about switching over since #2 is getting expensive. For those that make it what system do you use?

2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I've been making my own for about 6 months now. I run it pure in my NPR, 321d and tractor. I run a mix in my pickup. Runs great. I can't tell a difference in it and petrol. diesel except that bio costs me about $.80/gal. to make. Sure beats giving my money to some arab prince. payup

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

how are you making it so cheap up here till I get the used oil it is about 90 cents a gallon. then to make it? what is the secret please share.

4. mosmgras

from NC

I get WVO for free from a local resturant. I get about 30 gallons a week. This is enough to make about 20-25 gallons of Biodiesel. The only thing that I purchase is Methenol and Lye. Lye is cheap, Meth. runs about $4/gal from a local race shop. Hope this helps.

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Is there a difference in quality between Veggie oil and peanut? mosmgras, did you buy a kit to make the diesel or did you fab one yourself? Is it easier to use virgin oil instead of WVO? Anyone know how much new oil costs?

6. mosmgras

from NC

There is some difference in vegetable oils. My suppliers use peanut oil. This is the only type that I have converted. I'm not sure of the exact differences. You could use virgin oil as apposed to waste oil but the cost per gallon would go through the roof. I get all of my WVO for free. Waste oil does require some extra steps to filter out the solid particles. I filter mine by pumping it through cheese cloth. I fabricated all of my own equipment. You can purchase a kit reactor but they are expensive. I've got less than $500 total in my set-up. One of those kits can cost 5 times that much or more.

If you are thinking of making you own Biodiesel, Please, Please be careful. Combining Methanol and Lye forms Methoxide - a very dangerous chemical. Just the methanol by its self can be fatal if mishandled. :dizzy: Please research the subject throughly before you begin.

7. HoffmanLawnCare

HoffmanLawnCare LawnSite Member

i've been searching the web for different ways to make biodiesel and have found some that tell you what to mix and others that sell the machine for anywhere from $400 on ebay and like $2500-$4000 on various websites. the question i got is what is best source to learn how to make biodiesel, on the web or someone locally? these gas prices are killing me so biodiesel looks like its the way to go, can't beat 80 cents a gallon or whatever....

8. mosmgras

from NC

Here is where I got most of my information when I first started.

www.journeytoforever.org/biofuel

There is a lot of information about the process and equipment on this site. Again, please read and research the topic completely and observe all of the safety precautions.

I found another supplier in my area for WVO and I am producing around 60 gallons a week now. I just filled up my Dodge/Cummins for the first time. Runs like a charm.

The price of petro-diesel went up another $.10 here this week to an all time high of $2.47/gal. I sure hope those princes enjoy their wealth.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

mosmgras, I take it that you're combining the alky, lye and veg oil and making a fuel that you can just dump in a go with, right?

Years ago, I got a little Lombardini diesel to run like a champ on straight veg oil, the problem was starting/ stopping. I had to heat the oil up and then start the engine, other wise it would coagulate in the pump, injectors etc.

I found a site called Greasel I think, that sells kits that defeat that problem. They use a special co-axial fuel line that passes Hot coolant through the line to keep the viscosity of the oil real thin, but the draw back is that you gotta start and stop the vehicle/engine on #2 to avoid the coagulation prob that I mentioned. Great for long trips, but a hassle for short trips..

So please, do tell about the recipe, if that's what your doing.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member