Biodiesel Fuel Blends

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fixer67, Jan 10, 2007.

1. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Biodiesel Fuel Blends, tell me if you run it and what is the blend (B2=2% bio & 98% petrol, B5=5% bio & 95% petrol, B20=20% bio & 80% petrol, and B100=100% bio). I am seeing some problems in a Kubota that is running it and I started wondering if any of you run and and what types of problems if any you have had from it. I have been reading up on this and have found out a few things. First thing, it gels quicker in cold weather than petrol base diesel fuel does. I draws moisture. You go though 2 to 3 times as many fuel filters and it eats up rubber componets (fuel hoses) so you need switch to Viton. You have to change the engine oil more often. Concentrations higher than 5% increase the likelihood of corrosion and failure of the aluminum, zinc, rubber, and plastic parts of the fuel system.
    I got this info from Kubota web site and from http://www.biodiesel.org
    if any one is wondering. Tell me your Biodiesel story.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Biodiesel to me is a stepping stone. I don't run it, nor do I have any interest in it. I do, however, have a great interest in Waste Vegetable Oil and using it without the chemical processing of this into biodiesel. I do not run my equipment on WVO, but I have been running a dump truck for two years running now on Waste Vegetable Oil and am completely sold on the concept, process and performance I am getting from this product.....after all, Rudolph Diesel invented the Diesel engine in Germany to run off vegetable oils....I emit 70-80% less emissions across the board, I process (filter) the oil for about 40 cents a gallon before it is ready to go into my truck. I have run about 35-40,000 miles and so far have had no major failures of any components. Yes it gels quicker, just add cetane boost.....yes it breeds critters, just add biocide......What I am interested in is a biodegradable hydraulic fluid instead of a petroleum based fluid. Just some quick thoughts

3. K&M Lawn Care

K&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I run B20 in my 2006 Ford F250. Only started running it about 3 months ago and only have about 1300 miles on it since then. Haven't had any problems at all.

4. K&M Lawn Care

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

K and M.....woke up early this am and checked this thread. Thanks so much....have already emailed 6 of these guys to get information. Instead of spewing petroleum based product on the ground when I break down....I would prefer a biodegradable high performance hydraulic fluid.......I think that is just the old hippie in me talking, but it sure would be "a feel good thing" every time I change a hose or leak on some driveway.....Thanks again!

6. K&M Lawn Care

Your welcome, glad I could help. I am looking to use some of the products on that page this coming season for the same reason.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

don't even think twice about it. (Only running B5)