Biodiesel in Kubota B7800?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by RedRed, Nov 9, 2006.

1. RedRed

RedRed LawnSite Member
    from PA

Does anyone know if it is okay to use biodiesel in the Kubota B7800 engine? I know that some big farm tractors can use it with no problems and others aren't so lucky. I've heard of plugging fuel injectors, pumps, etc.

2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy of mine who farms about 3000 acres has 4 250-300 hp tractors, a Case/IH 2388 combine, his semi, his F-250 powerstroke, a 10 wheeler and a smaller tractor in the 100 hp range. Last time his tanks were filled (approx 5000 gallons) there was a biodeseil mix put in, he has gone through 4 times the amount of fuel filters since then and he now hates biodeisel fuel. It may burn cleaner but it sure wreaks havoc on fuel filters.
    If you go biodeisel in your tractor keep a stock of fuel filters just in case.

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it is really worth the risk. What about off-road diesel?

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I run a dump truck on straight vegetable oil and have been doing it successfully for two years running. The key to the biodiesel, alternative diesel fuel thing is filtration, filtration, filtration. I have got my system down now to where I change my veggie oil filter about as often as you would change a regular fuel filter. My fuel is filtered down to 5 microns absolute before it is put into my truck and it works wonderful.

5. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

it is not the fuel that is hard on the fuel filters, the bio diesel acts as a cleaning agent and removes all the sludge and deposits from your fuel system, the stuff it breaks up floats around and stops thing up

www.biodiesel.org

try this site for more information

6. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

can you do it...yes. but just so you know kubota says no. Something about their seals and internal parts.

7. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I burn a 10% blend in all my equipment and trucks. It will plug your filters if you have old equipment and old storage tanks. It is such a cleaning agent that it will take the rust right out of your older tanks. I will always burn it.

8. K&M Lawn Care

K&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

9. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Problem with biodiesel in older engines is the seals are made from natural rubber. The methanol used in biodiesel production attacks natural rubber seals, causing them to break-down and eventually leak. Newer engines are equipped with viton (or something similar) seals which are not effected by alcohols. I run 100% (80% winter) bio in all my equipment (Kubota 3130, Grasshopper 321D's, 399 Massey Ferguson, Isuzu NPR, Dodge/Cummins) with no problems. I did switch to viton fuel lines on the mowers and the Massey. So far (2 1/2 years) no problems. When I first made the switch, I did have to change the fuel filters every few weeks until the system was clean.