biofertility

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by bassplayer7, Jul 14, 2011.

1. bassplayer7

bassplayer7 LawnSite Member

I've been hearing some great stuff about bionutrition. What I'm wondering is how that becomes practical for smaller businesses or even individuals. How is it possible, to (a) learn about the whole program, and (b) is it possible to use it on a smaller scale?

Does anyone here use it?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Now that you've moved your question over here, could you be more specific as to what you are talking about?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Using fish, compost and cormeal to feed the microbes, which then feed the soil, which then feeds the plants???

4. bassplayer7

Right. That's the thing. I'm not very familiar with bionutrition. I think, like you said, it is the whole idea of using living microorganisms to fine tune the health of the turf to basically "perfect". There is very little information about it, and it's relatively new, I believe, but they are using it in golf courses and things already. Lawn and Landscape has had some fascinating articles about it.

5. Smallaxe

Well it's not new, but evidently someone has developed a 'new term' for what has been happening naturally since the beginning...
    What I found most interestting is that the microbes are right at the root hairs, being fed carbon by the plants and the microbes in return will digest and release certain elements at certain times, depending on which specie the plant is feeding... :)

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

8. Smallaxe

Great detailed update... Thanks... :)

"Through the exudation of a wide variety of compounds, roots may regulate the soil microbial community in their immediate vicinity, cope with herbivores, encourage beneficial symbioses, change the chemical and physical properties of the soil, and inhibit the growth of competing plant species..."

9. bassplayer7

Awesome! Those are some great articles. Thanks! :)