Biology survives impeller pumps

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Tim Wilson, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried once previously to brew a CT with a high volume of fungal hyphae for the purposes of testing pump survivability.

I have succeeded now with a 10 hour brew which is very heavily populated with fungal hyphae. I have demonstrated/observed that fungal hyphae
    complexes survive intact after passing through 1/ a mesh strainer of approximately 800 to 1000 microns, 2/ a low pressure impeller pump, 3/ a sprinkler strainer basket and 4/ a shrub head sprinkler (all one pass).

I have recorded my data to video via microscope/computer interface.

I have a lot of footage to sort through and will eventually post results on my website ___________

It may take me a while to sort all this out as my main computer failed yesterday and I had to substitute my laptop to record the data.

The fungal hyphae complexes averaged 3 microns in diameter and some which survived the pump and sprinkler spanned several 250X fields of view. I used a cheap ancient sump pump to run the test.

I think you can rest assured that a low pressure impeller pump will not significantly damage biology in compost tea.

2. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

This kind of info is just gold. Thanks Tim.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

thanks.that is great news! we have observed the same (not in a test as in depth as yours). that level of involvement is just super. thanks again
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe Tom J's observations were that it is the high PSI that messes with the biology the most.

If you are using extracted (most dormant biology) compost teas there is even less of an issue with spraying compost teas because most of the beneficials are in a spore form and are very difficult to harm. Give 'em a little food with the mix and get them into the soil and your golden

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that is great news
  6. Tim Wilson

Here are a few photos taken from the video I shot of the test. The quality is not great because it is difficult to focus on every plain. One phot before the pump. Two after.
    They clearly show fungal hyphae surviving 100% intact.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Refresh my memory what type of pump did this go through?
  8. Tim Wilson

A $50 sump pump. The kind I'd probably use to build a truck mounted sprayer on an extreme budget. All the details are in post#1.

9. Tim Wilson

Hey everyone,

I have now posted the video footage of fungal hyphae and microbes before and after passing through the pump on my webpage. I have also posted other educational information. I'm not permitted to post the link so perhaps if interested you might find out from someone or google

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member