birch leafminer control

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by greenguy08, Jun 17, 2008.

1. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Any tips for organic/ natural control of birch leafminer? Is there a better way than a pyrethrum or similar foliar spray?

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Peter is a trusted advisor, great company. You may have to take chemical steps if you are trying to save the tree, it depends on the infestation.

Typically but not always, pests and disease pick on plants that are defenseless, you need to get to the root issue (yes I intended the pun) there is something else going on that lets the leaf miners stay.

try a foliar compost tea don't dilute it spray it straight, try a chitosan spray to increase leaf density, try ecto mycorrhizae soil injections with a nice micronutrient mix, something else is going on.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

I said it before and will say again, peter is a tree GOD, and a real fun guy to hang out with. he I will credit with showing us the way to organics!!!

5. dtally

dtally LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

Her I go showing my ignorance once again. What is chitosan?

I google'd it but still really don't know what it is.

6. ICT Bill

Chitosan is a long chain polymer that is naturally occurring in your fingernails and the shells of most animals (crabs, shrimp, lobsters, grubs, nematodes), when it is solid it is called chitin, in the liquid form it is called chitosan.

It has some very interesting properties as a polymer and polysacharide it will retain water very well, so it can be used in lawn care to add water holding capacity to the soil. It is used in sports turf for hot spots or areas that water and nutrients move through too quickly, sandy soils

It also mimics fungi by receptors in the leaf of plants when used as a foliar causing what is called systemic acquired resistance (SAR). The plant thinks it is under attack by a fungal disease and its boosts it defenses against the attack. The resultant chitonase enzyme production by the plant increases the cell wall thickness and almost all indications of vigor in the plant.

A mixture of chitin in the soil and chitosan watered in increases tomato production by almost 40% in hot houses

It also hydrolyzes fungi on contact, basically melts it. It is used in crop production for things like powdery mildew, crown root rot, anthracnoses, etc.

We have reports back that it has stopped take all patch on St. Augustine in its tracks with new growth returning in 3 or 4 days. Barefoot James had the extention service idenitify brown patch in some of his turf, it stopped it with one application

It is a very versitile tool in the tool box

7. dtally

dtally LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

Bill,

Sounds like a great tool in the tool box. Is this sprayable or is it granular? Also where do you get this?

Dave

8. ICT Bill

I just happen to have several pallets of it in my warehouse, it is a liquid.

At low PH it will stay suspended but as soon as it is added to water it falls right out so you need to have a rig with agitation to keep it in suspension. It is about as beneign as it gets, it is also used in water treatment plants to flocculate fines from the water

You could also use an asperator type container on the end of the spray hose to apply it, the maintenace dose is 256:1 dilution, for active fungal it is 128:1. Barefoot James is using 3 ounces per 1000 to kill grubs in the turf bye bye grubs

Rittenhouse calls it an injection gun http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=390

9. dtally

dtally LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

My spray rig a 200 Gal Lesco rig. As far as agitation is is recirculating pump type. Is this enough/

10. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,

Is there any concern regarding the chitosan negatively impacting beneficial fungi and nematodes? Any studies?

Tim