1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bird of Paradise Plant

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dcusworth, Dec 20, 2007.

1. dcusworth

dcusworth LawnSite Member

Hi, Im not sure if this is the right place but I have a customer who has asked us to look after their Bird of Paradise plant here in Florida. Any advice regarding pruning and general care would be graqtefully accepted.

Thanks in Advance

David
    Monster Cuts

2. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Yep right place.
    First of all if you are in Orlando you better keep that thing warm it does not like frost.
    When the leaves turn brown just trim them off at the base.
    They like moist ground also.

Are you plant sitting while they are gone or just maintaining the yard while they are there?

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i dont know much about it other then i love the look of them.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Unless they are going to be gone for a year you wont have to do much. They are frost sensitive but other than that not much to do, they are very slow growing. Don't over water especially this time of year. Maybe once every 10-14 days.

5. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

David, if you look at the stems coming up from the botom you will notice that each breaks into 2 or three shoots. Keep prunig the oldest tallest of the stems off. Also keep them thinned out, you'll see healthier flowers.