bird of paradise

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jdepic, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jdepic

jdepic LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me if a bird of paradise can be cut back and re-grow quickly,
    much like a banana tree? Thanks.
  2. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Ours are always cut back in the late winter and usually by early summer are back to almost the precut size.
  3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Often, after big storms, they require being cut down due to breakage. They should regrow fine - although not usually as quickly as bananas (musa sp.)
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think they are talking about Tropical bird of Paradise, not our Mexican Birds, Cesiapena Sp. I think?
  5. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

I wondered about that banana tree comment :) What do I know I'm just a ditch digger.
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I was guessing (from the Florida address) that you meant strelitizia rather than the caesalpina. Please excuse the confusion.

The caesalpina is a woody shrub (I always heard it called 'dwarf poinciana'), the strelitzia is a succulent herbaceous plant (much like a banana 'tree'). Both can be grown in much of Florida.
  7. jdepic

jdepic LawnSite Member

Yes, It's the strelitzia, so I'm guessing it can be cut back and regrow? thanks.
  8. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it can be cut back.
    Alot of mine had a lot of frost damage from a few weeks ago and I trimmed all the dead leaves off and now we have new shoots coming out.

Rule of thumb in Florida as long as the roots are in the ground anything will come back.:clapping:
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I do but never take them too the ground.

Depending on the conditions, for instance one customer has one in sandy and dry soil, it takes close to a month in growing season to get some new growth and fill back out.

Then in moist topsoil I have cut the bird and have seen a quick turn around and full new growth in half the time.
  10. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

The Ole Bumperooonie!

What do you cut this back with?

How far back do you cut it?

I have a client in an upscale neighborhood with lakefront views that has 2 sections in his poolscape. Each section has 3 tall birds of paradise. 1 in particular is about to start touching the top of the screened enclosure. My customer has asked what I suggest. I told him it should be cut back. He wants me to work up a quote.

Not sure how to proceed.