Bit by a Dog Today.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Aug 23, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

So I pull up to one of my customers today and unload the mower from the trailer. I notice that the dog walkers car is in the driveway. It's no big deal as she has been there when I have been there in the past. I throttle up to full speed and engage the blades and start to cut. Almost immediately the two dogs come running at me looking ready to attack. They run behind the mower as I am trying to disengage the blades and shut her down. Suddenly, I feel this sharp stabbing pain on my right calf. I pull my leg away and get the mower shut off to turn around and protect myself from another attack. One of the dogs got me pretty good. I called animal control and went to the hospital after they officer left. My leg is still throbbing. Has something like this happened to you and how did you handle it with the customer?

2. BBL

BBL LawnSite Member

Gut the dog where it stands and leave it on the porch as a present :)

that reminds me when I used to work for this other company doing aerations, people would be called ahead of time to let them know we are coming so they can keep their dogs in the house. Needless to say a few either forgot or didn't care. I kept a bottle of bear mace on me for such occasions(I HATE dogs) and sprayed the sucker good, got my equipment out and left. anoter account it was just an ankle bitter but was annoying as hell, seems like the smaller the dog is the more they want to attack people.

I remember one guy had a pitbull in his yard and I was thinking "oh crap" but I knocked on the door and he put it up so I could do my job. he says it's a "nice" dog, but most people say that while they are growling at you ready to tear you to shreds.

I'd say get some mace and/or a knife just in case.

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i got bit in the butt!
    about four years i had a client with two big pinchers. they said that these dogs were babies, yea right.
    one day i was mowing and i felt like i was stabed with a screw driver i jump off the sulkie and theres the dogs, i was lucky that my wallet took most of the bite. the dogs then wondered off , i got to the truck and took off for the docs office... later after i made a report i called the owners, they laughted at me, they said that i couldnt get bit because the dogs liked me so much, and all the dogs wanted to do is say hi to me! even with a police report and a doctors bill clearly marked treatment for dog bite, she didnt believe me and wanted to see the bite marks on my -ss...
    a few months go by and i run into a lco that mowed for these people, he dropped them because they would let the dogs out when he was mowing and watch from the window as the dogs would scare him...i think these people got a rise from the dogs...

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Some years ago I had these orential customers with a crazy dog. The wife would always make sure the dog was in when she heard me drive up. One day I get there unload trailer and start mowing. I get to the back and the husband lets the sob out. I seen him in the side of my eye when I weas making a turn, so I stuck my boot up and kicked out and jacked him right in the mouth. He flew pretty far away and let out a horrible noise and scampered back to the husband. I shut the mower down and the husband was mad that I did that, I calmy told him I wish I would have knocked out the dogs teeth.if he ever let the crazy mutt out again and he tried to bite me, I would make sure the dog would need to eat liquids the rest of the its life.
    Later that day wifey calls me telling me how sorry she was and she was glad it did not bite me and she would make sure it was ion while I was there.
    I love dogs have had a 3 labs during my married life, just saying this so some do not think I abuse animals.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL,thatz funny my cousin got kicked by a mule when were where young he hit it right in the mouth with his fist,itz a good way to calm em down and show em were you stand.

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Weed eaters work on them very well. :hammerhead:

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I'd go to the ER and sue their pants off. "For what damages", you ask? Medical care, lost time on the job(wages), and breaking any leash laws. Your life was in danger for heaven's sake!

8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a pit bull that belongs to a neighbor next door to one of my clients. He has come at me twice. Both times, thank God I had a weed eater in my hand and kept the dog off of me. The dog got zapped pretty good the last time it happened. I told the neighbor that if it happened again his dog will be shot on the spot. I filed a report with the police and told them EXACTLY what I told the neighbor. They said that they had several complaints and would follow up. I haven't seen the dog in a month. Hope to hell I never do.

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Well to follow up on my original post animal Control called and they have impounded the dogs for the next 11 days. They also told me the dogs shots are all up to date. I believe the owner will get sited for an uncontrolled dog because I was mowing the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. The officer told me that that is considered off property.

I also spoke with the owner and she said she would pay my medical bills which so far total $95 for the emergency room deductible and two prescriptions. I need to see my doctor in the next few days as well.

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

If your seriously hurt or disabled of course take action. If the dog just nipped, I'd let it go. Maybe I'm different than most but I feel the suing craze is really bad for our culture. Yes, in almost 25 yrs of mowing I've been bit many times. The dogs are protecting their family and property. If the dog bit a rapist, pedophile or murderer he'd be a hero on Animal Planet. Instead we're talking about euthanizing him. Either way the owner should train the dog and PS I hope your OK.