1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bit By Dog Today

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 16, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I was bit today by my customer's neighbor's dog. Nothing real big, probably 35lbs, and a mutt. However he sure packed a bite. I'd seen him earlier this year and last year and no problems, just some barking. He's not even supposed to be out but they let him out or he gets out. This customer is in a line of folks with 1 acre+ properties and there is a big road that goes between him and the dog's owner. So the dog had to come WAY over ( about 30-40 feet) off his property to get me. I was so pissed off as he was barking at me but I didn't charge at him or pay him much ming. Next thing I know he got me good on the side of my left leg next to the knee. Didn't think it was much of a wound as I didn't see blood soaking my jeans but when I went to my truck to pull the pant leg up to take a peak, it was really nasty. Haven't had hardly any dog bites in my life so I wasn't used to it. He marked me up really good with a big gash in the skin and other small indentions from the smaller teeth as well as bruising from the force/pressure. I'm sure it would've been much worse had I only shorts on or if he'd gotten my bare skin. The jeans probably will save me from having to get stitches. I may post some picks tommorow. I was gonna let it slide til I saw how bad it was. I went to the neighbor ( followed by the harrassing dogs the whole way) and told her what happenned. She was more shocked at the bite marks than the fact he did it. She put something like neosporin and a big bandaid over it. However I should've washed it with soap and water 1st ( I later found out ). She said he had all his shots for rabies, ect and that she was VERY sorry. I told her "I hope I don't need stitches". I'm sure if I did she woulda got the bill. I just found out I need 2 root canals which cost $3200 ( $1800 after insurance ) so I was not in the mood to fit the bill for more medical stuff, especially when it's someone else's fault.
    I really wanted to kick that blasted animal in the gutt or neck after what it did to me. But my kicks probablyi aren't quite up to the quickness of a dog's reflexes. Now my fist is another story, but then I'd be risking damage to my fingers and I need them for my trimmer and occasionally for my mower :laugh:

Thank God it wasn't a Pit or something much bigger like a Mastive!

Do u guys have any story/s to relate?
  2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

no dog bite story but sorry for you that it happened
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I had basically the same thing happen to me last year. A Boston Terrier. The little black and white dogs that look like a Boxer. I was wearing shorts and he latched on to my shin. I kicked him in the head once while he was latched on , he didn't let go. I kicked at him a second time and he let go to miss my foot. He crossed the street to get me. So I crossed the street to tell the owner and find out if he was current on his shots. She said" I can't believe he did that, he's never done that before". She soaked it with Hydrogen peroxide and covered it with a piece of gauze. I went back across the street to finish my customers lawn and when I was done I talked to my customer. he asked what happened and I told him the story. He said, "she's lying, that little bastard bit my son about a month ago while he was skateboarding". It kinda made me mad, but I just let it go. It was gashed, bruised and sore for a couple of weeks.
  4. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

why the hell dont you guys call the cops on these people? they shouldnt own dogs if they cant control them
  5. green-pa

That sucks! Was there any permanent scaring? I've heard that if u are attacked by a dog and must defend yourself that their gutt is the weakest part. Of course if it's too big of a dog it may not matter much. I'm thinking about getting a can of mace or pepper. I could use my knife, but for most dogs it would mean having to reach down too far lol, then they may go for the throat or hand - not worth it.
  6. green-pa

I spoke with my customer to warn him about them and ask about the lady. He told me he's lived there 10 years and never had a problem however wants to make sure she keeps the dog fenced in or locked down from now on, not only for me and other workers that come to do service for him, but especially for his little neices and children of the family that come to visit. I'm considering making a report. If I see him out again I will certainly do that. I've taken pictures of the wound and hopefully they will be good in case it happens again or if he's let loose. If I see him out again and he comes for me, I'm going for him next time. He's not big enough to run me off. Some dogs u just have to let em know who's boss I guess.
  7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Was bitten on the hand by a chow a couple years ago. Loved dogs and had no problems with them until that day.

That is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I was scared to even be in the same room with my own dog for awhile.

If I hear a dog you will find me on the top of the truck!
  8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

First, I'm a dog lover. Dogs that bite have assholes for owners. Having said that, even a pit bull will let go if you can get a solid punch in to the throat. Get the windpipe. If they can't breathe, they won't hold on. Same goes for some six foot seven human-beer muscle gorilla in a bar.... just be aware, this move is potentuially lethal. "Go for the throat"..... it means kill the attacker. You collapse the windpipe, the animal will die if you hit it hard enough.

If attacked by a dog, I have no reluctance to use this move.... a person... well, one must realise it could kill him.

I got bitten by a four foot iguana two weeks ago.... does that count?
  9. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys need to file reports so they will have it on file.whos 2 say this will happen again and the owner says this has never happened before!
  10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Last summer I had to go into a buddie's backyard and look at something for him, and he said if he wasn't home to just go on into the yard. Well, I get there and these 2 little yappie dogs started tryign to scare me, so I walk past them. The one little rat looking thing keeps following me and I think "I hope he isn't stupid enough to bite the back of my leg. Sure enough, I feel this sharp pain in the back of my leg. I look down, turn and kick at him and he takes off running. I chased him for 20 minutes straight - I was gonna grab him by the throat and hold him under water in the pool until I felt he had learned his lesson. Well, after 20 minutes I gave up on catching him for the day, but I knew I'd get another shot at him at some point. Well, about 3 weeks later I jumped into my buddies truck and there was the dog sitting on the seat. That dude took one look at me and he couldn't get under the seat fast enough. My buddy asks me what's up, and I said :I'm gonna kill him, that's whats' up". Naturally, he tells me I can't kill the dog because it's his buddy, and I told him "well you need to start looking for a new buddy, that dog bit me the other day when I was in your backyard". He acted all surprised as most people do.
    Needless to say, I didn't kill the dog, but I bet he never even thinks about biting me again!
    One thing I have found with dogs is that if you can get ahold of their throat and put them on their back, they will submit. Haven't tried this with a Pit yet, and hope I never have to. It's worked several times with other breeds. You might get your hands bit a little in the process, but it seems to make you the Alpha dog in their eyes.