bite off your nose, to spite your face?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a group of homes i service, there are 6 in a row. it started with 1, the neighbors liked what they saw, and over time, i got all 6, and in fact have 2 others interested, but are waiting till next season so they can finish out thier contract with thier current guy. all are excellent payers, and i get top dollar for these accounts, which i nicknamed "harlem", because of the environment there, and the soil condition which requires the lco to be on his toes at all times. ok, like i said, all are good payers, except one. the "bad apple" at this point, will need to be cancelled, and most likely taken to court. in light of the situation, i've tried every civilized method to come to some agreement, but it isn't working. these neighbors are very friendly with eachother, and i fear if i use my usual means of collection, i will lose all 6, plus the 2 additional that will sign on next season. this amounts to well over $20,000 of gross income, and the accounts are very profitable. would you cancel the one, collect the debt, and take the chance of losing the other 7?
  2. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

No way! Id on't believe this really happend at all. No one didn't pay. You're kidding, right? It's funny because he talk about being mean to the guy whos dinner you screwed up, then you ask for serious advice. If you treat him right, why would the other people care. If its just because he wouldn't pay, why would the others cancel? Just don't treat him the way you say you treat other customers. It doesn't really sound like a difficult situaution to me.
  3. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

4. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

I bit your nose off and threw it n the grill, but you blew grass clippings all over it so I kicked your a$$
  5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

If you are on good terms with the others, try to collect. Then, explain the situation to them and tell them that you don't want this to damage your relationship with them. Just let them know he won't pay his bill. Unlike them.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u should pull up at dinner time and break out the shovel
    make a example of the dead beat
    then yell to the others watching see what happens when u dont pay payup
  7. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

i dont even think bobbygedd is a landscaper if he has all this so called work he wouldnt be on here all the time telling bs stories
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

why dont you go back and read some old posts, then you might get it...

your a 16 year old child, you should be more careful of who you offend , your pretty new and young to be judging anyone, bobby has some pecular post , but he is legit, makes good money and hidden in his post is usually some good information.

im not belittling your for your age, its great that you have direction and know what you want to do when you grow up...
  9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I would think this one through if I were you. If you tell the other people that he is a late payer then he might sue YOU for slander or defamation of character. Most people on here would probably like to see that happen to you but I don't really care one way or the other. I think your stories are very amusing, kinda like ...... fairytales.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Regions and circumstances are differnt but I would just quit cutting ALL of them. When they call to inquire why tell them that you can not afford to show up and mow 5 of the 6. Explain why they get such a great rate etc. Then let it slip that when so & so account is paid you will be able to continue taking great care of there props at such an extremly affordable rate.
    If your taking the chance that you might lose them anyway why not let the good customers do the dirty work for you and hassle the non paying customer, heck they may decide to pay a little extra each to make up for your loss income from the non payer. OR you could cut it for free to keep the other 5. But I know I could never do that.