bite or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barcode148, Nov 9, 2006.

1. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

i have a chance to buy a toro 40'' hydro fixed deck wb with a soft bagger for $4558.00 out the door. this machine retailed in 06 for $4200.00 from him and in 07 will retail for $4550.00. this is the last one hes got so i would have to decide within the next week or so. should i go for it? i was planning on buying this exact mower this upcoming season. thanks

2. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

anyone? what do you think?

3. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Its going into winter... offer him $3800 for all of it, give $4k for it if you have to.
    When you make your offer be sure he knows you'll walk away if he does not take it.

It makes NO difference what the prices for the 07's will be... fact is he paid a 06 price for it and so should you.
    The price for you needs to be cheaper since you'll have to sit on it all winter instead of the dealer being stuck with it, plus it will be a "year" older.
    Also, consider that it will be several months into its warranty before you ever cut a blade of grass with it.

If he doesnt go for it, go back when there is snow on the ground, see if he'll take your offer then.

When it comes to your business and your money, never get excited to buy equipment, its the last thing you should want to do.
    In other words, dont be in a hurry... many good deals will show up if you look.

4. jaminjim

jaminjim LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

A buddy gave me some very good advice a long time ago. You can always pay to much later.

Don't know if it is a good deal or not but the advice is worth a ton.:rolleyes:

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

so the dealer is charging you 358 bucks for a soft bag....Hes should be charging less to move a machine at the ned of the season...Its a buyers market this time of year for lawn mowers and a selling marking for snow equipment. if he sits on it all winter he should get is asking price in the spring....

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like said above....no more than $4000 out the door. If he wants to truely move it, then he will take it. You can always pay that price next spring.