1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Biting Bugs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

So I'm cutting my own property which I allowed to get alot longer in the front yard than I normally do.. (been too busy with everyone else).

I'm cutting it this past week here in NJ, weather has been a severe drought, but it POURED like buckets for about 2 hours early in the AM that day.. I'm cutting at like 6:00 PM, it rained 5:00 AM.

I'm also cutting wearing shorts, which I almost never ever do, but it was nice out..

As I'm cutting, there are these small, pencil-eraser sized flying bugs trying to BITE me. I was able to swat and kill some of them, but other ones just couldn't get. I was wiggling my legs on the pro-slide like I was Michael Jackson in his Beat-it or Billy Jean video.. <G>

They are black, with large (in proportion to their body) wings, that are almost clear in color. They LOOK like they have the rings on them like Yellow-Jackets or Hornets have, but I don't feel as if I was being stung.. And they were way way too small, these are small, like I said, I could rest one on the finger-tip of my pinky-finger with no problem, that'd be enough surface area to smush one of these... Yellow-jackets or hornets I think are a 2-finger smush in comparison to say the least.

I've heard of black flies that bite, but those seem to be ALOT larger, especially at the shore when I'm crabbing.. These were ALL over the place, not just one area of the yard it seemed either, but it did seem to be more in the higher, wetter areas of the turf.. As I passed by on my walk-behind, I guess they thought it was lunch-time..

No blood was drawn on any of the probably 200 bites that I felt. (maybe more than that!)

And they are smaller then regular flies you'd encounter at a picnic or flying around a urinal....

Is there such a thing as biting baby yellow-jackets OR biting baby flies?

Anything I can spray to get rid of them?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can spray yourself with OFF. It sounds like you got too near to a swarm of little sheep flies.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds a bit like what we call a sweat bee.about run u crazy sometimes ,cause they just keep on coming.