Bitter? Crazy? Unprofessional? My competition called me today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cuts, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a new lawn end of last season... homeowner complained up and down about the 'former' LCO. Homeowner also pushed the neighbor on to me as well, but I never followed up.

The community is high end... $600+ half acre properties. The 'former' has a ton of properties in there, 62 to be exact. (Rumors were flying last year that NO one is happy with his work... but he's cheap and never works anywhere else, only this community 6 days a week) he drives a beat up old dodge that he painted himself, cuts with a Home Depot resi. z-turn. All HD handhelds... but whatever.

Today I visit the customer for the first time this season, standing along the sidewalk, going over the 'clean up' and here comes the 'former'... pulls up in front of the house.... Me, my employee and homeowner stand there as the former starts rantin' and ravin' bout' how he "Quit" working at this particular house and wasn't fired. The irrigation was NOT his responsibility, the homeowner was a whiner, "Stop slandering my name!!!" and "You'll be gettin' a certified letter from me"

drives off.....
    WTF?????? Shrug my shoulders, back to work....an hour later, he sends the lunch truck in the community around to my property and they deliver me two bottles of water, courtesy of him.

2 hours later.... I receive 4 'private' missed phonecalls... finally I answer it...
    it's dude... the former. He starts up again, about my new customer.... "Good luck with him, he's bad pay...."
    He pays me...
    "He whines all the time...."
    80% of all customers do....
    "He's never happy...."
    75% of all customers never are....
    "He talks Shi* about me all the time...."
    Not my problem....

Then he does on and on about how he picked up 3 new customers in this community since we left.....in an hour.
    Ok, good for you, business is good for you I see.
    "I got 62 properties in this community, customers think I live here..."
    hmmmm....
    "I have two crews in here working full time...."
    Where? you're always by yourself...
    "I have so much work in here that I have to sub work out... what kind of $$$ do you get per hour if I hire you to work for me???"
    Dude....I got enough work....
    "Ya know I own this community, I even pushed XXX LCO outta this community, I'm trying to put them outta business..."
    Really....
    Ok, I gotta go bro... I'm on my lunch break.... click

Now, I've seen XXX LCO out and about, and have nothing but the utmost respect for them.... fair pricing $40-$50 cuts, family run, nice work.... hard workers... and I don't even know them... so that pissed me off to no end.... not to mention that his @ss called me.

The story actually got worse when the neighbor of my new customer came out to talk to me about the 'former'....

Anyway, I'm venting... and thought it was comical... but strange.
    Now I'm gonna go flood "HIS" community with $20.00 lawn care flyers. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

No need to play games with the immature fool, just keep doing top quality work for good money.

3. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Carolina,
    Please do yourself a favor and do not stoop to this guys level. That is what he is counting on. You have an opportunity to stand out within this community. Show your pride and professionalism!

DJ-

4. P.I.L.C.

P.I.L.C. LawnSite Member

I agree with Military Lawns. A few flyers and word of mouth from the 2 new clients and the POS with 62 accounts may just turn into 2 for him.

5. mock

mock LawnSite Member

let him run his own self out of town you wont have to do it for him by the way it sounds. Be professional

6. Carolina Cuts

oooh I know it... no $20 flyers for me...
    in fact, I haven't and wasn't going to put any flyers out at all. For the past 3 years, I've picked up 2-3 of his accounts a year.... just from them walking over or crossing the street.

the 'neighbor' of the latest customer approached me today, said some aweful things about him (peeping Tom type stuff)... again, I just shrugged my shoulders and said "Mam' I'll be happy to do your lawn for you... if and when you are no longer satisfied with his work...."

"Well, I'm really not satisfied now... he charged me for 10 yards of mulch...and then came back and stated that he counted wrong and added another 5 yards and charged me more $$$ and my husband doesn't want me to come outside when he's here cutting the grass...."

"Mam, again, I'll be more then happy to take you on as a new customer... just let me know when...."

ugh!

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

What arreas do you work in, in NC? I've seen a company here with a logo like yours doing all the Wilco gas station here.

8. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

You can tell that that guy is full of #*&%$ because if that customer was so bad ( in his words ), than why is he making a big deal out of it? You would think that one would be happy that he's not doing them anymore.

9. Carolina Cuts

Really.... hmm...
    I'm more in Myrtle Beach... I have a few places in Whiteville NC.. my sis lives up that way...

10. Carolina Cuts

yea, I know he's just bitter...
    personally I think he's knockin' on doors undercuttin' everyone in there.

I have 3 houses in one court.... he has NONE on this street.... last year, my helper said the 'former' was doing drive-bys while I was in the backyards cuttin'.... I think he was snoopin' around... most likely door-knockin' after I leave...