1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bitter-Sweet Satisfaction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I had a commercial account tell me they couldn't give me clearance to start this spring despite the fact that I gave them a very handsome "renewal discount" last fall. The story from the manager is that Corporate decided to change things and take away the manager's power to hire contractors. The word I got was that the district MGR would be making the decisions and at the time a decision needed to be made he was in D.C.

So I waited around and the place started looking like a jungle. I was thinking about how it was such a stress free account and decided to keep waiting for the go ahead to come down from the district MGR. Well I got tired of waiting, so I put together a formal bid and added a freebie service along with a signing deadline to qualify.

First thing when I arrive, the MGR says the District MGR still has not been by (just like all of '03) yet and he's back in D.C. again! But I did atleast talk to him and he says he wants to take bids. I'm like WHAT? I'm thinking about the renewal discount. But I keep my cool and flip my bid out of the folder onto the counter and say "OK here's a bid for him" real cool like something outta one of those Mello Yellow soft drink commercials (if ya ever seen one).

Well that 'qualifying deadline' was April 15th and by the 16th... still nothing. So I told my wife I wanted to swing by on our way out to dinner.....

Well this was the definition of a Kodak moment. I'm hundreds of yards away and I say to my wife... "Oh my god, I can already see that it's been hacked!" We pull up and all I can say to my wife is oh my god! Why oh why did I leave home without my digital camera? It's SO UNREAL. At this point we are like 13 miles from home and starving to death. As we drive away we are debating on rather to run after a disposable camera or even running over to buy a new digital just to capture the full effect of what we have just seen.

The place is just butchered beyond belief!!!! I can't even put it to words..... It's scalped in places, gouged in places, uneven all over the place, gapped, completely uncut streaks...like a toddler gave themselves a hair cut with a set of clippers, only worse. Nothing is trimmed or edged. Clippings are blown all in the beds There are clumps all over the place. No trash was cleaned up prior nor after cutting and this is a retail location. So there is chopped up trash everywhere. The curbs, parking and sidewalk concrete have clippings blown all over them and just left there. To beat all the concrete is white!

It's bitter-sweet satisfaction though. Bitter sweet because I may have lost the account if a contract was even signed. But still it's totally sweet satisfaction at the same time because they sure are getting what they deserve. They had one extreme and screwed me around. Now they have the exact opposite extreme. SWEEEEET!

Anyways, I'm praying for calm winds because I just might hump it back down there to snap some pics..... If so I'll post a before and after reversed.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a bummer!!!! :(
    I know about someone comming and taking your jobs, for less money, as you can tell as soon as you look at it. There is some satisfaction in seeing that they are getting exactly what they are paying for.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hurry up and get down there to take some pics
  4. Envy Lawn Service

OK, I did....

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Envey, I use "Paint" to join pics.......... (just figured it out the other day!)

open a pic in "paint", resize if needed using the stretch and scew thing in "image"

on the corners of the pic there should be little purple dots, pull them out enough to fit another pic. Minimize the window!

Open another pic in a different Paint window and resize it the same as the last one. Save it!

Go back to the first one, click the edit button and go down and see "paste from" click that and find the pic you want to join. That pic will be on top of the original so just drag it over till its in the spot you want it.

Move those little purple dots back till there around the whole pic and thats it. Save it!

Just remember you cant make the pics too big or you wont be able to get them on.

I hope you can understand all that mate!
  6. Envy Lawn Service

OK before I get started, I need to point out a couple of other things...

Spring of 2003 when I took this account, there was hardly a spot of turf on it in any random spot that couldn't be covered up with a hubcap. It was very patchy and once it warmed it became about 90% weed content. The landscaping was also a disaster area.

Also, the contract was mow/trim/edge/blow and go with everything else as an extra as they were ready to get it done. So to make a long story short, corporate screwed me the first time by contracting the landscaping to a separate company without even offering to tell me or give me a chance to bid on it. So I didn't touch the bed areas (and neither did the landscaper) until late fall when I was hired to repair it.

Just wanted to add that and point those items out also.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Now I'll start by giving you all a little taste test of what it looked like after I got it shaped up...

8. Envy Lawn Service

Now that we have that out of the way. How about a small taste of what that same area looks like now.... and this does not even come close to doing justice to how bad it really looks in person.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Going up the street to the right, this was taken around the end of that sidewalk...

10. Envy Lawn Service

And this one was taken a little farther up that street....
    I mean, even it they didn't have a blower, what about the mower or a broom?