Biweekly mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguy268, Mar 15, 2007.

1. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

How many of you guys offer this and how do you charge?? Do you price it as a regular mow or do you add on because of the extra grass??

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have a few that I do bi-weekly. They are all tiny, non irrigated, non fertilized lawns that I do for $20 per cut, that I am in and out in 15 to 20 mins. If I had a fert. and irrigated that wanted bi-weekly, there might be a little more charge, plus I would cut it higher to be taking off as little of the grass as possible (ideally, 1/3 of the height).
  3. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

When I started, I accepted bi weekly. Some lawns aren't bad (mostly clover).
    But if the turf is healthy, bi weekly can be labor/ machine killer. If you need the work, take it. As for pricing, I shy from saying.... Price is so dependant upon location, market, customer demands, and frankly, your needs. I always added a small premium for bi weekly.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We do a few a church for one grass is not that bad i get paid good,weekly mowings are alot on a schedule sometimes bi weekly are easy.
  5. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I usually charge $5-10 more per cut (depending on the size).
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We only have one left. At first they seemed ok to fill in gaps but after awhile they started complaining about the price and we got sick of doing twice the work and getting asked "can you cut it lower it, its too high by the time you guys come back". And did I say we got sick of doing twice the work for only a few bucks more per cut.
  7. Mike Royce

Mike Royce LawnSite Member

We used to have a couple of bi-weekly. That ended real quick. The lawns were:nono: a jungle when I came to mow and it was always a nightmare. IMO, those who want bi-weekly are those people who are too cheap to hire the weekly service. I want clients who have no problem handing over money for the services I do for them. I will not accept any bi-weekly - ever again. It was always (100%) a nightmare. And all the neighbors who saw me working were sure to be wondering "why does this clown only come every two weeks? And his lawn looks awfull between cuts. I'm never going to call that guy." Not knowing that I was just fulfilling the client's request. So all the extra hard work @ low profit was most likely loosing potential customers, neighbors that saw me. Hope this helps.
  8. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

No way no how for bi-weekly cuts. When I first started I did a couple, and I learned real quick to get away from that type of schedule. Too hard on equipment, and every other week it leaves a hole in the route. For me it's weekly service or no service.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys for passing them up we pick them up and with the big engine mowers it don't take us any additional time.
  10. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I had a neighbor of a customer ask for a mow. It was very tall and I hit him with a $65 initial mow and $40 per week thereafter. He said it would only need it every other week because it "grows really slow". I told him that I would only accept weekly accounts, no exceptions. He reluctantly agreed. I went back this week and this "slow growing" lawn had shot up 3" in one week. This was in a week where temps never got above 50 deg.

I did tell him I would consider bi-weekly in the summer but I would let him know when we might be able to start doing that.