Black (Afro-american) landscapers..Serious question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am an above mentioned landscaper and I have a serious question.

Do you find it difficult to get/receive service at dealerships?
    - I have been to three different dealers in the past 4 weeks and NOT ONCE did someone assist me or say they would be with me in a minute. Normally, I enjoy being followed around when I shop cuz assistance is just a holla away but I guess with the weight of the equipment, they aren't too concerned.

I am NOT trying to play the race card by any stretch of the imagination but when I am in line, or atleast appearing to need help and a woman gets served FIRST, I have to wonder.

Really, I am just curious.

2. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I don't find it difficult at all when it comes to service, generally though, it helps when you purchase the equipment from the dealer you are requesting service from...just my .02 cents...Jay

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Do you already have a dealer you already work with? it was the same way last season here comes some kid no one would help me... then i dropped a few bucks here and there and now every time i walk in my sales person comes right over. it may not be the race card at all although my dealer is all about not being discriminatory in fact they do have more than one African American sales person and one female.
    in the world we live in why should skin color matter?

hope this helps :)

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Where abouts in ontario are you? My dealer has no problems at all I don't think helping anyone! He is a pretty nice guy and willing to help just about anyone.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am in Richmond Hill. At first, it wasn't a problem, I thought nothing of it but after today, I thought it was seriously annoying. I couldn't come up with any other explanation for it and was curious how others might be treated.

If it were just once, maybe twice no big deal but c'mon.

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

If dealers are busy you have to wait thats what I hate so much about them. Not only do you wait sometimes for a half hour but they got no prices on a lot of their equipment they have to spend so much time looking up part numbers and talking to each customer it makes me sick. Its sure not like shopping at a real store like home depot. I wish home depot sold commercial equipment I would never go to a slow ass dealer again.

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't take it personal around here dealers treat everyone bad or at least me. When my wife runs errands for me she says it' insane how odd mower shop people act ignoring her and other customers. They always seem mad.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread. The guys at the dealerships get all kinds of people and I think they assume everyone coming in wants something for nothing, and they want it yesterday. Then they don't have the model number and can't understand why you can't help them. Or, they walk in huffy to start with and throw a part on the counter and grunt some gibberrish and the poor guy at the counter is supposed to look forward to that? I wouldn't want to work parts ANYWHERE.

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Good plan. Have fun trying to get parts or service at those places...LOL

You sound alot like the people that come in to my place and ask me how much every single thing is with absolutely no need or intention to buy anything. Sounds like a machine gun going "how much how much how much how much how much how much"

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know there are alot of racist people out there so I have no doubt that some would stereotype you and not wait on you as promptly as a white person. I'm white and even though races are suppose to be equal now I know that's not always the case. But I think this is the exeption rather than the rule. I've seen it and heard it (the jokes etc.) around work sites all around the country but I think it's improving. I hope you don't judge everyone (and I'm sure you don't) by a few. Not sure if this is true in your case but it's out there to some extent. Good luck. Just my opinion.