black cloth-like screen

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SeaSouth, Jul 8, 2006.

1. SeaSouth

SeaSouth LawnSite Member

Hello every one,

One of my clients has just bought their first home. They appear to have a black cloth-like screen under their grass. They don’t like the edges showing and are contemplating having it removed. It’s a small area showing where there is little or no grass and looks old and raggedy. This is not a new sod job. I just used a box cutter and cut off the raggedy pieces.
    I assume it is something used while laying sod. Does any one know what this is and why it’s there? What can be done to keep it from coming up?
  2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

its called landscape fabric and its used as a weed barrier.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Under grass or under mulch??
  4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

my guess would be under the grass.......

I too read what he said but that makes no sense at all:)
    I know weeds grow great on landscape fabric(weed block):confused: -, but I have not heard of purposely putting it under grass. :hammerhead:

was just trying to verify. And if it is under grass???? it needs to come out if it is at still intact.
  6. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Dont they make a fabric inplanted with grass seed? If its been a long time and the lawn wasnt bagged you can build up quite a lot of topsoil....
  7. SeaSouth

SeaSouth LawnSite Member

It’s under the grass. For the most part they have a nice lawn, seems a shame to remove it just because of this cloth.

Is their any way to tell the difference between weed cloth and seed cloth?

Thanks for the info. Now at least I have two possible answers for my clients

How tight is the weave? landscape fabic is very tight. The seed stuff has an open weave so the roots can go thru. If it is the open stuff, just cut the edges off and you should be OK.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

My first thought was that maybe it was where bed area used to be that maybe grew over, and perhaps was somehow renovated (like topsoil and seed).
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If it is landscape weed barrier CRAP then I wouldnt remove it especially if it took half their lawn with it. I would snip the edges that show and take a long spike and go over the area the has that junk to loosen the weave. This will help the roots get established even better and will allow rainwater to quickly drain. I hate that stuff. It never works.