Black dirt top soil? PRice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by meets1, Jun 30, 2012.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

First how much can you hold in what I call a dump truck? I assuming yards?? I have a single axle dump but we just load it till it hits the sides and we go with it.

Thing is I have been using alot of "black dirt" as of late and were using a few different guys to deleiver. Everyone has different weight on tickets to what they hauled? Then some charge more some others less. What is going rate? I understand I dont live where you do but what are you guys being charged or charging out at.
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Go by tons here. Usually $14-17 delivered in the metro areas, $28 delivered to the mountains.
  3. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

Most everyone by me sells by the yard. I have one source for screened, composted top soil for $6.00/yds. But most places it runs about $6 for unscreened and $8.50 for screened. Those are by the yard prices. Generally, I get it delivered for $12.00/yd. With a "Michigan train" hauling 44 yards at a whack.
  4. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

$6-8 a yard?! I'm paying $30 for a yard of screened topsoil and thats with pick up in Jersey!!
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I was going to say those folks have some cheap screened dirt too.

Mid-20's here retail and up depending on the dirt/sand.

Screened black dirt is $27 CY and about 100 for delivery
  6. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

The cheapest here is compost at 10$/ yard but you have to pick it up yourself.

Top soil company around here will deliver top soil at 15-25$/yard
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Well I am getting it now for $15 / yard delievered to our yard. About a 20 minute trek for the deliever. This is good black iowa dirt!
  8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

10/yd picked up wholesale, but the nurseries sell it for 25.

whats your trucks GVWR? empty weight? bed dimensions? kind of important to the equation