Black dust on deck of mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mack77, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I was out cutting customers wanted their lawns cut even though they were VERY dry. It was extremely hot out and the mower was kicking up a lot of dust here and there so the machine got quite dusty during the course of the day. During my last lawn i noticed the left side of my deck on the Bobcat ZTR becomming ever so "Black" with this graphite looking dust. (The side furthest away from the chute) The dust was very fine like powdered graphite, and dark black in color. I thought it could simply be the dust from the grass and dirt, but that would be a dust brown in color...not deep black.

I hope this isnt a big was just strange seeing this dust all over the deck of the machine- any insight would be greatly appreciated!

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like that dust might be the "little black fruiting bodies" associated with some fungii. It's that time of year.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The only time I've ever seen this kind of dust was from a belt smoking or slipping... thou i wouldn't call it graphite, you might still check your belts, see if one is glazed then that could be it.
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

This would be my call also.
  5. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Mower deck was covered with same description fine black powder. Yellow deck looked like leading edges were painted flat black. It has been very dry and extremely hot. When we used blower on croncrete surfaces they seemed to have fine black powder lightly covering them. Used handheld to remove the black dust from mower.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. I have a couple properties that get that every year about this time. If it was a belt causing that much dust, you would know it cause more than lickely it would have shredded or smelled.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We had it on our mowers all last week. Comes fron extremely dry conditions. Last time I saw it this bad was in '99.
  8. gonecuttinggrass

gonecuttinggrass LawnSite Member

had the same thing on my w/b the choke was sticking a little and that made it run rich the black came from muffler
  9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I had a little bit of it also down here. :)
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

since you are in new jerkey I'd say it is related to dioxin or some other hazardous waste.