Black dust on leading edge of Deck

Discussion in 'Encore Equipment' started by iblonger, Aug 30, 2006.

1. iblonger

iblonger LawnSite Member

I mowed my first account today and when I finished the leading edge of the deck on my Prowler 61 was covered with thick black dust. The deck belt seems to be fine and it is only on the leading edge of the deck. Any ideas as to the problem?

2. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Dont expect a response from Encore. I've notice they don't repond to questions most of the time on their own forum unlike the other sponsors of this site. I had a question for them a while back and got nothing. Thats why I did not buy their product. Try posting it on the reqular forum and hopefully the others can help you out because I dont have a clue what would cause that if it wasnt the belt.

3. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

This probably isn't it, but was the lawn recently fertilized? Black fert.? Sorry, can't think of what would do this. How do you like that prowler?

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Excess spindle grease? If so, it should stop soon.

5. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Are you mowing dry turf? Same thing happened to me on my machine last summer when we had a drought, the grass became ever so dry and I noticed a thick black dust all over the front of the mower deck- almost like powdered graphite. It sounds like little black fruiting bodies, which are part of fungi.

I started a thread last year about this, maybe it will help:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=116011z

Good Luck :waving:

6. iblonger

iblonger LawnSite Member

I had just greased the drive shaft and other parts that were due but the spindles do not require greasing to my knowledge. I was getting concerned that maybe a spindle was cracked but everything appears to running normal and it is cutting nice. Thanks for the help guys. I'll just let it go till something breaks (its still under warranty). It sure is a shame that Encore would go to the trouble of sponsoring a forum and then not reply when you ask for help.

7. Encore Mfg.

Encore Mfg. LawnSite Member

I don't see that it is anything to do w/ the mower....it almost can't be from your description......

If you have any questions or problems, please give us a call.....We are on this site to provide assistance....1-800-267-4255!!

As far as not replying....I believe that lzrj replied to us back in March about a 48" X-TREME....We have a great dealer in Springfield who I made known of lzrj....without any more info than his name and city which I am provided from this site....I can't do much more!

If I am at fault....Sorry! We are on this site to help and with our website, toll free #, and our accessibility, I don't think that we are trying to hide that fact. If someone wants to buy a mower, I sure am going to do what I can to make sure that happens.........

Let me know if I can help!

8. iblonger

iblonger LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply its good to know the manufacturer that I have invested so much with is willing to help. On closer inspection it appears to be coming from under the deck somewhere? It is coming out of the discharge chute also. I am assuming that if a spindle has an issue black dust would not be a symptom? With all the rain we just had I really cant afford for this to go down.
    Thanks,

9. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Have the same thing happening to mine. Not sure what it is though and it is on a different mower so I think it is coming from the lawn.

10. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a fungus in the ground we run into every year. It will go away after you mow the yard a few times. The vacuum of the deck is pulling it up from the dirt itself.