1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

black fugus?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 2, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a lawn that has this black stuff in it, maybe 3 or 4 spots the size of a basketball. it has been there for 6 weeks now and doesnt seem to be spreading, or going away. is anyone familiar with this? what causes it? will baylon get rid of it? thanks
  2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem on one of my properties and was told it is a fungus (don't know the name). It is not harmfull unless it smothers the grass blades. It is caused by poor air circulation and dampness and can occur in sun or shade. Practical treatment was brushing the blades clean (with a broom) since it is on the surface of the blades and check the next visit. This has worked so far without chemical treatment.

Sorry I don't have more info at this time.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Probably stripe smut. In 12 years of doing this, I have only seen it once on a commercial lawn. It eventually took over the whole lawn. The next year there was no sign of it. They would not spend the $$$ to treat it, so I did not look into which fungicide is recommended at the time.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member