Black Gold on Lawns

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Gusaroo, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Gusaroo

Gusaroo LawnSite Member

FNG homeowner here...Did some searches couldn't find this answer.

Can you use straight compost (IE: "black gold") to fill in low and bald spots on a lawn? For example, where a stump was ground? We have free Black Gold available from our town and thought it might be a cheap alternative to topsoil. I have read that BG is too acidic for grass...I dunno.

Thx for your help guys.
    :confused:

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Mix it in with some soil.You can top dress your lawn with it.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

John Gamba is absolutely correct.

Compost should NEVER be used to fill in "holes" in yard...and even when topdressing a yard it's "ideal" that the lawn be HEAVILY aerated 1st; so that the compost can blend with the existing media somewhat...and "filter down" into the holes that were created in the lawn by the aerator.

Otherwise.....a heavy downpour of rain will (very likely) cause alot of your "fluffy and light" Black Gold compost to go "bye-bye" :waving:...and roll right down into the street / sewer...giving you an unpleasant surprise to wake up to and inspect one morning !!

4. Gusaroo

Gusaroo LawnSite Member

Good info guys! Thx

SO I should not be worried about PH? Someone told me that I should add lime if I am using on a lawn (as opposed to a garden)

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get a soil sample kit where you garden. You will know for sure.good luck:waving: